August 1, 2007

Bonding Day and Visit To Orphanage

Isn't she just beautiful? She really is! But boy she is exhausting! I am so tired right now - I am going to make this post short and sweet with a few pictures. Yesterday, Doug, Briana and I hung around the hotel room most of the day just trying to bond. We did have our first breakfast down at the buffet, but other than that, we didn't do much. Briana got pretty bored hanging around the hotel, so we have decided from now on that we need to keep busy.

Today, we visited Briana's orphanage - Dianjiang. We were shown were the babies sleep, we spoke with the director and we did see a few children in Gracie's Room (which is the playroom). It was really amazing. I promise to write a lot more about that in a future post.

Briana did so well today. She slept on the way to and from the orphanage - two hours each way. She was great at the orphanage and at lunch. She is quite the wiggle worm! She did have a 45 minute meltdown this evening though. I think she is teething and that makes for an unhappy baby. After some teething tablets and baby Benadryl, she is fast asleep for the night (hopefully). I have to admit, this is the hardest thing I have ever done. I felt like melting down myself for a few minutes - luckily Doug is my voice of reason. She is wonderful, but everything is a lot of work! We are all still trying to get used to one another. I do believe she is bonding to Doug and I very well - I really feel like she trusts us.

So, on with the pictures!

Briana's first breakfast buffet...

The group at Dianjiang orphanage with several caretakers.

The bus ride home on daddy.

The bus ride to the orphanage on Mommy.


41 Kind Words:

Angela said...

She IS a beauty! Can't imagine a first time parent being thrown into the loop of crazy ups and downs your going through now! I applaud all first timers out there, I'm sure its gonna throw us for one too, just for different reasons.
It's o.k. to have a break down every once in a while, lord knows I've had them! You just kindof pick yourself back up, and move on.
They are all learning experiences though!
Love seeing those smiles!!!

Jennifer said...

She is so perfect and beautiful...You all look like such a happy family. I pray for the best for your family and safe travels. I absolutely love her little toothy grin - made me smile right back!!

~jen

Ani said...

She is just precious. Being a parent is hard, and I can't even begin to imagine how much tougher it is to be a brand new parent to a toddler in a hotel room, with jet lag and all the other to-do's surrounding international adoption.

Hang in there, all of you. Get to know each other and take it an hour at a time.

Things will get better (but, just so you are warned, toddlers ARE exhausting... that WON'T change!).

Chani's Bow Making Mama said...

Oh Lisa, she is absolutely beautiful!
Hang in there sweetie. I promise you that things will calm down. There is just so much going on right now but once you are home and settled into a routine, it will get better. You've got tons of support at home. She is adorable and I can't wait to see you guys.

Tracy said...

Such a cutie! And yes, as much as I can only imagine it right now - I am sure it is so exhausting, too!

Tracy
LID 11*22*05

Kim said...

She is sooo cute..
Sounds like you both are doing very well..
She has so many teeth.. they are so cute.. and hair..
You will get to us hair bows..
Have fun..
Get some rest..
Kim

Mick said...

tHello Sunshine!

Look at that big smile.

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than to have a sleeping baby in your arms. Those are wonderful photos.

You are truly blessed, and holding up wonderfully!

Pug Mama said...

so beautiful!!!
hey...what happened to the "I got Brianna, and you can't have her" dance you were supposed to do during Gotcha day????
;0)

4D said...

Such sweet photos. Great to hear that things are progressing so well.

What an adorable little miss!

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

Before you know it, you'll know all the tricks to keep that little doll happy! I always have thought that being a parent is the hardest most wonderful thing ever. It's ok for you or Doug to take a sanity break every once in awhile - take a looonnngg shower and everything will feel better.

Take care,
Amy B.

Polar Bear said...

Goodness Gracious! She is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love, Love, LOVE the first picture.

What an experience it must all be. Going to her finding place must have been something.

Thanks for sharing what you can with us. I know you are exhausted. I truly enjoy following along with you.

Colleen said...

Oh Lisa. I SOOO understand the meltdown period. (I've had a few....there and home). It's ok. We are still struggling but I swear to god it gets easier. When people told me that I thought....bullsht! I did....now I see first hand. Its so hard especially when you are in a hotel - trying to figure out what to do to not be bored...your sick of the same food - and trying to understand how to be parents. Its aw tough trip, but with many many highs.

I am here for you. Having been home a week and a half things are so fresh and it STILL is a work in progress. Anytime you need - just holler.

Hugs to all of you.

Anonymous said...

Talk about going from 0 to 100 in an instant!! I can't imagine! The pictures are so fun to see - keep them coming! I can't wait to see you and meet beautiful baby Briana.

Abby's Mom said...

Wonderful pictures! She looks right at home with her Mommy and Daddy! Hope you are able to squeeze in some rest inbetween all the fun :)

Anonymous said...

Doug-

"Atlanta" Jennifer sent a message to the "lab_all" mailing list with the news! Congrats to you and Lisa!! Briana is so cute :)

"DC" Cindy

Steffie B. said...

Just wonderful......try to rest when you can.....

C's Mom said...

I love that she snoozes on both of you!

Cindy said...

what a gorgeous baby and a beautiful smile! it sounds like you are doing an excellent job in the first days of becoming a family. i would say that after looking at that smile, she's a happy baby!

Roy and Lori said...

We love reading your
daily up-dates! She
is so pretty!

t~ said...

She certainly is beautiful! What a great update and post. It sounds like you are all meshing well together! Her smile is breathtaking!

kitchu said...

She is gorgeous you guys... I am in awe,it just seems so incredible each time I read an update. What a smile in that first pic too!

I can't wait to hear more about your experience at the orphanage.
And hang in there- once you get home and get into your own routine, it will get easier! (Course, might get harder first with the time change... eek).

Intrepidgirl said...

Thanks for sharing your story! Hang in there -- you're doing great!

RoLo said...

it must have been an emotional day but I am sure that her beautiful smile brightens your day.

RoLo said...

it must have been an emotional day but I am sure that her beautiful smile brightens your day.

RoLo said...

it must have been an emotional day but I am sure that her beautiful smile brightens your day.

Two Kayaks said...

My goodness, Lisa! That picture with Briana asleep on Doug is incredible! So priceless.
Glad you ae having some good bonding time and that you had a chance to go to the orphanage. Can't wait to read more about that.

Krista Dolan said...

OH MY She's beautiful!!!!
I am so happy that you were able to visit the orphanage. Isn't Gracie's Room great!!
Krista

Angie said...

Congratulations!! I don't know you, but I'm still so very happy for all of you! She is just gorgeous, and looks so happy!

Best wishes for fewer meltdowns (I know what those are like) and tons of wonderful days to come!

~another of Georgia's blog buddies

M,R,J1,J2 said...

Hello little angel! I love that smile!
Thank you for posting and keeping us updated every day!
Hugs,
Micha
LID: 05/24/06

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful! I feel so fortunate that we are able to follow your journey. What a heartwrenching day it must've been and yet how great that you could visit both places. Get some rest (and keep the adorable pictures coming!).

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

Oh~ I am in love with her! That first picture stole my heart! She is beautiful!

Stephanie said...

Look at all of her teeth! She is ridiculously beautiful! Thank you for your honesty and get some rest :).

~ Alison said...

She is just so cute! It's not an easy trek, but things will get easier. Promise.

How wonderful that you got to visit Briana's orphanage & go to her finding spot.

We (also) visited Mali's SWI & finding spot. It was emotionally exhausting. I still have a hard time explaining those emotions to people . . . I think u have to actually experience it to fully understand the range of emotions involved.

Anonymous said...

Parenting is exhausting. But, once you get home and get into your own space/routine you'll be more rested.

Good luck! She is beautiful!

-Stephanie, Colorado

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Hang in there! Parenting is really hard sometimes, but you will never regret it. ALl the fatigue is worth it. Allow yourself time to cry and get used to things. It's growing pains.

OziMum said...

Wow, the orphanage trip must have been so emotional. I have thought about it, but I'm sure absolutely nothing can prepare you for such a trip.
Briana is absolutely beautiful! I love her little teeth! Trust me, you certainly wouldn't be the first Mum to cry when your baby cries!!! (or is it just me?!!!)

Parenthood is certainly exhausting, but the rewards of smiles and watching sleeping angels, is worth it all.

Catherine said...

Briana is absolutely beautiful Lisa!!

What an awesome privilege that you were able to visit her orphanage! Wow! Looking forward to hearing more about it when you have time. It's great to hear how well she's doing (meltdowns and all) and that bonding is beginning.

LedaP said...

GORGEOUS!! Congratulations...I have chills just knowing what you are feeling right now! I am so happy for you both! Enjoy China!

Headmeister said...

I guess I don't have to tell you taht this is my favorite blog right now - or why! lol!!! LOOK at that SMILE on her!!!! I can't wait to meet her one day and plant a smooch on those cheeks!

Emma said...

Oh wow, you got to visit the orphanage. That's awesome. And the finding spot too... can't comprehend the emotions you would have experienced. I'm a few days behind in catching up with entries, but need to tell you how absolutely sweet Briana is. Congratulations!

Related Posts with Thumbnails