I can't believe I haven't posted in almost a week. Life has been quite crazy. Doug had some medical issues throughout the week (don't worry, he is fine) and I was preparing for a community garage sale that happened on Friday and Saturday.
Unfortunately, the garage was quite disappointing. We sold a few things but definitely not as much as we had hoped to sell. I had lots of baby clothes, toys and accessories to sell, but no one seemed too interested in those items. We mainly sold electronics and small furniture (like lamps, etc). Someone did buy Bri's pack n play, so I was pretty happy about that. All the baby stuff I didn't sell at the garage sale, I am going to consign or donate. The problem with community sales is all the competition. And when you live in a large neighborhood toward the back like I do, by the time the people get to you - if they even get to you - potential buyers are pretty much out of money or have already found what they are looking for.
I put out lots of baby items for this garage sale. I proved to myself that I have finally accepted that Briana will be Doug's and my only child. At times, I do struggle with the decision though. Honestly, I do not have a desperate need to have another child, but I did hope to give Briana a sibling to grow up with. I tried to give her a sibling, but it wasn't meant to be. So I do realize though that this decision isn't completely in my hands. Sometimes you have base your life decisions according to the cards you are dealt. Growing up, I never imagined only raising one child. I never pictured having a really big family, but I always thought I would probably parent two or three kids. Then again, I never pictured myself spending so many years struggling for just one child either. I guess Doug and I could continue to struggle, stress and focus on adding to our family now that we are in our late 30's (whether it be through invasive, uncomfortable fertility treatments or through the long, emotional and complicated process of adoption) or we can enjoy and focus on the amazing daughter we have now and concentrate on living a full life with her. So we have chosen option two. Will I always have some worry about Briana being an only child? That we made the right choice? Absolutely. But right now, I believe we are making the right choice for our family. All I can do now is raise Briana to the best of my ability to be a well-adjusted only child and surround her with as many friends and family as possible.
Acceptance. It make take a while to get there, but when you do, it is a good feeling.


9 Kind Words:
Love you guys - you are doing an amazing job with Briana and no matter what the size of your family - I'm sure there will be a lot of joy in your lives!
Amy B.
Lisa-
I read a GREAT article on choosing to have only children in TIME magazine.
Take a look.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2002382,00.html
you are doing very well with Briana.. and you never know.. things might happen...
Big Hugz..
Love ya..
It is tough to let go of a dream sometimes. (((hugs)))
To quote my preschooler: family is about love :-)
As you know, we built our family through adoption and while I would've been at peace with raising one child, my husband (an only child) was adamant that we adopt again. Of course, I can't imagine life any different than with our 2 blessings... And now, every once in a while, our thoughts wonder if we really are done (at 35 I think we are!). You are so blessed with Ms B and Doug! Thank you for sharing your feelings with us so openly. Have a wonderful week!
My husband and I are in a similar situation to you and Doug...and after much soul searching we came to the exact same position as you recently....Acceptance is such a positive thing! You already live such a wonderful life and its plain for all to see, Brianna is cherished. We are so lucky to have this experience. Debbie Nic Scotland UK.
it is so hard to let go of what's in our mind's eye - of what we always thought our family would be or should be
sending a hug
Your last line was extremely powerful for me. There have been so many issues to accept along my journey to motherhood, that at times it seemed like that was all I ever did ~ accept it. I had to accept the infertility and the many other issues that went with that. Accepting the wait we had to endure to go to China was another.
The longer we waited the more I had to accept the fact that we might be a one child family.
I always swore that I wanted to have at least two children. I wanted our child to have a sibling. As the months went on R was done after number one. I always thought that I would try and convince him once the dust settled after we were home to move on starting a second adoption.
Then my feelings changed. I'll never forget it! We were walking down the hall of the hotel in Nanchang. R was carrying Z infront of me and it hit me like a lead weight, "this is my family and we are finished". I don't know why or how but this was the easiest moment of acceptance. I know in my heart that this is what we are supposed to be and it feels good.
I'm sorry to ramble so! This post really made me think of our path. I am glad you feel good about your journey. It truly is freeing!
I think when decisions that impact our lives are made for us, as many of ours have been, the acceptance takes longer and comes in smaller servings. Sometimes we think we are ok and then, not so much.
It is really a wonderful place to be in when you can lift you head high, throw your hands in the air and yell, this is the right choice for us.
You and Doug are amazing parents and a wonderful couple and seeing your family brings so many people such joy.
I agree, it is perfect the way it is.
Post a Comment