September 12, 2008

Rocking Briana To Sleep (Capturing A Moment With My Daughter)

It’s nap time.
You have been in your room about 15 minutes or so.
I hear you on the baby monitor.
You are babbling and playing with your doll, not really ready to go to sleep yet.
I enter your bedroom and quietly tell you to “shhh”.
You flash a huge smile.
I ask you if you want to me rock you to sleep today.
You flash me your huge smile again.
I place you on my lap as I sit in the big cushy rocking chair in your room and cover you with a blanket.
You rest your head against my left arm.
You hold on tight to your “baby.”
You squirm a little and start to giggle.
You touch my eyes, nose and earrings, still not really ready to fall asleep.
Rock, rock. Rock, rock.
Giggle, giggle. Giggle, giggle.
We stare into each other’s eyes and smile.
After a few minutes, your eyes start to droop and you quiet down.
I listen to your breath.
I stroke your hair and your forehead.
Your eyes start to blink, and you struggle to keep them open.
Blink, blink. Blink, blink.
Finally, they close.
Then they open again a little.
Then close.
You are still and calm.
You look so comfortable and peaceful.
You have drifted off to sleep.
I know I am looking at an angel.
Perfect features. Perfect eyes, perfect nose, pouty lips.
I rock you for a few more minutes because I cannot let you go.
I am embracing the moment, just staring at you.
Knowing that one day you won’t need me to rock you to sleep.
So I am in the moment.
Soaking it all in.
Still in awe that you are in my arms after such a long wait.
So grateful that you are my daughter.
My eyes fill with tears of happiness.
I finally give you a kiss, stand up and place you in your crib.
I watch you sleep for a minute or so.
Then I tip toe out of the room and close the door.

27 Kind Words:

Anonymous said...

Naptime is precious! I love watching EK sleep and I really love it when she wakes up and comes to me to snuggle when she wakes up. Briana looks so sweet in her bed.

Unknown said...

oh that is beautiful my friend

Special K said...

I must be hormonal cuz that made me cry. LOL!

Beautiful post. Great memory for you to reflect back on someday.

Anonymous said...

Possibly the most beautiful post you have ever written.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I'm with Special K on this one... where the heck are those stupid tissues?

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

What a wonderful moment to capture.....she looks like an angel!

It is so nice to know, that there is still a little "baby" left in them.....most of the time they are running around like a typical two year old and then, there are times like these!

So perfectly written Lisa....just beautiful...I agree...I think this might be my favorite post yet!

Enjoy your Friday!

Lisa

Noemi said...

That was lovely! Thanks for sharing such a personal moment with Briana!

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful and I understand your words completely. Unfortunately, my rocking days are over :-(

Deb said...

Awww that is beautiful.

Can't wait to have those moments.

Anonymous said...

AHHHH girlfriend, You spoke straight to my heart with this post. I could visualize it all with the beautiful words you wrote~ Very precious!

Randi said...

Isn't that the best?? Nothing is better than knowing that you can make your baby feel so safe and happy. Life is good, huh?

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Ahhhh......that was so nice!!!!!!!!!

Ms. Fricknfrack said...

Truly beautiful, Lisa.

stephanie
http://mubarek.wordpress.com/

Shanna said...

Oh so sweet! Nothing like a sleeping angel.
Your family is so beautiful!
Shanna

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

So sweet, just beautiful.

Lindsay said...

A beautiful moment - captured beautifully.

Jeff and Amy said...

Beautiful, things we live for and will forever remember.

Ani said...

I love watching my baby sleep...

I never rocked him to sleep (darn those baby books on getting them to sleep through the night!) and I now know that I missed that window. Poor baby #2, he/she will be a spoiled little thing :)

Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt post.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet picture and even sweeter words to go along with it. I used to beat myself up, when Noah would not nap and I would get frustrated (ticking off the to-do list of things I needed to do while he slept)...watching him sleep somehow make me love him more..just the quiet innocence. Can't wait to rock Maddy to sleep soon!!!
PS- Seeing this pic on FAcebook and then here..I am having deja vu, hahah!!!

Lisa said...

What a beautiful post! And so lovely for Briana's memory/baby book... ah the love of a mother. :)

Lisa :)

kitchu said...

oh my gosh that is about the sweetest post...

JoAnn in NJ said...

That was wonderful and very moving! Great from the heart writing Lisa!

And i feel the same way...our girl is nestled next to me sleeping soundly.

Ahhhh....bliss!

Abby's Mom said...

Beautiful post :)

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

OMG - that was just precious! What a wonderful memory to cherish!
Ladybug hugs,
;D

Colleen said...

Um...........oh my god that was SOOO stinkin sweet!! What beautiful words. Thank you for sharing.

t~ said...

Capture the moments. You blink and it's gone.

Tiffany Hall said...

I love that, Lisa. It reminds me so much of Shaelyn right now.

I think God wanted me to read this tonight! It's been taking me so long to get Shaelyn down at night that at times, it's started to feel like a chore.

I know that I just need to soak this up! Like that song by Steven Curtis Chapman says, "I'll dance with Cinderella while she is here in my arms. 'Cause I know something the prince never knew. Oh, I'll dance with Cinderella. I don't want to miss even one song. 'Cause all too soon, the clock will strike midnight, and she'll be gone."

Here's the address to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrWMBC6yoME&ob=av2e

Related Posts with Thumbnails