April 18, 2013

Carnival Cruise - Day 4, Grand Cayman - Stingray City

Our next adventure was on Grand Cayman. Doug and I had our honeymoon on Grand Cayman and I was excited that Briana was going to be able to see this beautiful island.

Unlike Jamaica (where we just walked onto the dock from the ship), we had to take a boat from the ship to the island...

We got to dry land and had to find the tent for our excursions...


We had booked the Dolphin Cove Experience and Stingray City.

The girls posed with the Tortuga pirate...

Again, there was a bit of a wait for everyone to get to the tent. Finally, we were brought to a lady holding a parrot...

She lead us to another guide that took us to the boat for Stingray City. I wasn't sure which excursion we would do first, but we did Stingray City first and then the Dolphin Encounter...

We got on a boat that led us out to Stingray City. Doug and I actually did Stingray City on our honeymoon. It is a huge sandbar where you can pet tame stingrays...


The ride out...

The water surrounding Grand Cayman is still the most beautiful that I have ever seen. It is crystal clear. Absolutely beautiful...



We pulled up to the sandbar and there were lots of boats and people already in the water...

I had my cell phone and Aqua Lock case ready to go. It was time to see the stingrays...

One of our guides holding a baby stingray...



There is our boat...

A professional photographer was snapping shots of everyone holding and kissing a stingray. We bought a CD full of shots. Here are just a few of my favorites...










There were a number of stingrays swimming about, but it wasn't the swarm that Doug and I experienced on our honeymoon (which was almost 16 years ago). There were a lot less boats and people when we went the first time. I think that is why we didn't get the swarm like we did years ago. But, I had a enough of the stingrays swimming around my legs to be happy!

 The guides yelled that it was time to go and every let out a collective groan because no one was ready to leave. But we got back on the boat to head to our next excursion...

Dolphin Cove, here we come.

To be continued...

2 Kind Words:

Tracy said...

I agree - that water is like nothing I have ever seen. As my niece said...it looks like someone put blue food coloring in the ocean. Love it. Looks like your water was a bit less choppy when you went to Stingray City than it was for us, which is good.

Catherine said...

What fun! I had no idea stingrays were so calm and that you could hold and 'wear' them. Fun! I think you were wise to head to the stingrays first as my guess is that everyone would flock to the dolphins so you might have more time. We'll see. Excited to read and see your dolphin adventure!

Related Posts with Thumbnails