June 13, 2024

The Fox, Les Misérables And The Georgian Terrace

Though unintentional, Briana got another gift for her graduation - a viewing of Les Misérables at the Fox Theater. Doug bought tickets months ago, and we didn't think about how close it was to Bri's graduation. It was another great way to celebrate the end of high school.

It was kind of a bucket list item for Doug because he had been wanting to see this musical since he was a teenager, but he (we) just never got the opportunity. When we saw it was coming to Atlanta, we jumped on it.

He got us second row seats - so close! Since Les Mis is almost 3 hours long, Doug suggested we stay across the street overnight at The Georgian Terrace since it would be quite late when it got done.

Doug and I had stayed at The Georgian Terrace many years ago - pre-Briana. So it had been a long while. 

The hotel is beautiful - an older building, but very nice...
 
 

Doug reserved us a two bedroom suite so Briana could have her own bedroom and bathroom...

 
 We were able to do an early check-in at 2pm. The downside of The Georgian Terrace is that there is no room service. And the upscale restaurant in the hotel was completely booked for the evening. There is a pub that is located in the basement area that opens at 5, so we decided to do that. The doors of the Fox were opening at 6:30 and the show was starting at 7:30, so we knew we should have plenty of time.
 
Edgar's Proof and Provision...
 
Now let me tell you about this restaurant. It wouldn't be a "Lisa" experience if something didn't go a bit sideways, right? We got there exactly at 5PM when it opened. Bri and I weren't dressed for the show yet - we were going to do that after dinner. There was a woman and her daughter who came in the same time as us. Then more people started coming in. We got our drinks right away, but it took 50 minutes just to get our appetizer. We ordered an appetizer, a burger and two sandwiches. That's it. Now remember - this restaurant is across the street from a performance venue. They know people are there to eat before the show. The waitress never came over to say anything about the wait - only filled Doug's water glass once. I was getting quite upset.
 
I finally called the waitress over to ask when the food was coming and that we had show tickets. She acted completely annoyed that I was inquiring. Then she asked when the show started. I told her and she said we'd be fine. So asked again when the food was coming and she just said "soon" as she walked away. I can think of many names I wanted to call her in that moment, but I held my tongue. There was a man there in a suit almost the whole time and he was no doubt the manager. About 5 minutes after I inquired about our food, he brought over the deviled eggs. He was nice but never apologized for the wait.
 
 Then a few minutes later our dinners starting coming out one at a time. First Doug's. Then mine after a few more minutes. And finally Bri's. The eggs and Doug's Reuben sandwich were quite good. My club was just ok - the croissant was dry. Bri's burger was overdone and the bun was charred.

After all of that, the food was just meh. I honestly have no idea how long people who came in behind us had to wait for their food.

As soon as we got done eating, Bri and I needed to go upstairs asap to change. Doug waited for the check - which he did say took a while.

Bri and I get to the elevator and...the elevators were not working.

I'm not even joking.
 
Our room was on the 7th floor, but I am still struggling with heel issues. I wasn't going up the stairs. Luckily, the hotel was offering elevator rides on the service elevator. It took a few extra minutes, but we finally got to our room. Geesh.

Doug finally got back upstairs as Bri and I changed.

Then we had to take the service elevator back down to the lobby to go to the Fox. But, we were on time!

Luckily, The Fox is right across the street...



Bri did get some merch (I snagged this pic from FB)...

It was almost showtime...

We made it...

We did have two women who sat behind us that were chatting a bit when it first started because one of the ladies was lost on the story. Sorry lady - if you don't get it, you don't get it. You can't be talking throughout the whole thing! She got shushed my me and a couple of others and finally got quiet. I just don't understand people sometimes.

But other than that...the musical was phenomenal. Truly. The music just swelled.

The lead who played Jean Valjean was amazing. His name is Nick Cartell and his voice made me teary! His 1200th performance as Valjean was that night...

The whole cast was incredible...

Briana felt kind of icky and a little lightheaded right after the show for some reason, but she felt much better after we got back to the hotel (and the elevators were working again by then - yay!). I'm glad we didn't have to drive all the way home and could go straight to bed and get some sleep.
 
The next morning, Doug and I were hungry and wanted some breakfast. Bri opted to sleep in and we brought her some food. We ate at Livingston Restaurant in the hotel...
 
The food and service were much better at this restaurant!
 
Despite the hiccups (how come there are always hiccups?), we had a very nice time. The hotel was very comfortable, the location was perfect and the musical was fantastic. I would see Les Misérables again for sure. So much was going on in the show, I know I probably missed a few things. "One Day More" and the finale "Do You Hear The People Sing" both gave me tears and cold chills!
 
Now that I have written all about the end of school, graduation and Les Mis ~ it is time for me to finally blog our trip to NYC. I hope I can remember all that went on - that was back in March/April! Be back soon!

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails