February 9, 2026

SCAD TVFest 2026 - Part 2

SCAD TVFest had a terrific lineup again this year. They had actors visiting from The Pitt, Abbott Elementary and Bridgerton. Jeff Probst was there. Young rising actors and actresses there. I found out that Chili and Matthew Lawrence made a surprise appearance. It is really cool.
 
(A few of the pictures I am posting I snagged from SCAD/the internet. You'll be able to tell which ones I didn't take.) 
 
The fest starts on Wednesday and goes for three days. Doug and I always land there on the last day (Friday). But with Bri being a student there, she can attend whichever events she chooses. The professors encourage the kids to go to the panels/talks.
 
 Earlier in the week, B attended the panel for "Deli Boys." She screened one of the episodes and she said the panel was hilarious. It stars Saagar Shaikh (from Ms. Marvel) and Asif Ali (from WandaVision)...
 


She also saw the Q&A for The Great American Baking Show and Celebrity Big Game. She saw hosts Andrew Rannells (huge Broadway star) and Casey Wilson (from SNL and Georgie and Mandy's First Marriage)...  
 

On Friday, our first screening and Q&A was for the new Prime show called "56 Days." It stars Dove Cameron (from Liv and Maddie, The Descendants and Schmigadoon!), Avan Jogia (from Victorious and Orphan Black: Echos), Karla Souza (from Home Economics) and Dorian Missick (from Two Weeks Notice and Luke Cage)...
 
 We watched the first episode (it was spicy!) and it was really good. I will definitely be watching it when it comes out. 
 
It is so crazy seeing a former Disney kid actor and a former Nickelodeon kid actor thriving in grown up roles now. 
 
Some photos and videos...
 






 
 
 
When the Q&A ended, we left the auditorium. It was still 90 minutes until the Abbott Elementary screening and award ceremony for Quinta Brunson.
 
Now, this is where things get a bit crazy. SCAD didn't have the stuff together at all when it came to how to line everyone up for the Abbott Elementary screening/award/Q&A. Pandemonium is a good word to use. Doug, Bri and I hopped in the line (we were standing on the stairs between the 2nd and 3rd floors), but then we were told to get out of line and go to the 1st floor to get a "green card." Doug stayed put to keep our place while Bri and I tried to figure it all out. I talked to 6 different people who didn't know anything and kept pushing me and Bri from place to place. Then one SCAD female staffer started telling us to go outside after I had already talked to 6 different people - that is when I lost my cool. I told her I was NOT going outside. I had been tossed around and around and I was staying put. She was like "alright, alright" and didn't make us leave. Right after that, a male staffer came along said if we had a pass (which I did), we were allowed to get back in line upstairs and could get a card. Since Bri was with me, she could go with me. After 10 minutes of chaos, I got my dang cards for me and Bri. And guess who got a card as he stayed in the line - yep - Doug. Ugh! Thank goodness I didn't go outside because I wouldn't have heard that announcement to get back in line. It was just crazy.
 
We get into the auditorium and found great seats. We had an hour to wait still. The place was packed. But there was a really cool buzz in the air...
 
There were 4 "reserved" seats next to me and they ended up being filled right before the presentation started. I don't know who these people were, but I guess they were important either to the school or the show.

The announcer came on stage and welcomed everyone.
 
And then the announcer said that "THE Barbara Howard" was there to give Quinta her award. Yes - Sheryl Lee Ralph surprised everyone there. When she came out, the room went BERSERK. We had absolutely no idea. I don't get star struck very often, but I was in that moment. She is legendary. The woman next to me said to me "no one had any idea she was here." I have no idea if this woman had known or not, but she was one of the "reserved" people. Maybe so? I told her I said to myself "Queen! Queen!" Because she really is. 50 years in the business - it's unreal...
 
She went to the podium and she was amazing...



 
Introducing Quinta...
 
 
 Accepting her award...
 
Quinta speaking...
 

We watched a funny episode of Abbott (we had already seen it - we are obviously big fans).

 Then there was a question and answer session...
 



These woman are two of the most driven, intelligent, creative, well-spoken people I have ever been in a room with...
 
  
 
 
 Sheryl Lee Ralph brought it...
 

 When it was over, Doug, Bri and I decided to leave right before they took the pic with the audience. We were to the side, so we wouldn't have made it in the picture anyway...
 
What an amazing experience!

 Doug and I brought Briana back to the hotel with us to have some dinner.
 
This is what Bri and Doug ate (I will address what I ate later)...
 
We watched a bit of the opening ceremony for the Olympics...
 
Doug drove Bri back to her dorm and around lunchtime the next morning, we picked her up again to have some lunch with her...
 
We chose Papi's in midtown this time because this chain is still a safe place for me to eat right now...
 
And then we took Bri back to school.
 
There is a lot of construction around SCAD (there has been for a while), so traffic around the school was absolutely horrifying. They had streets closed. I cannot freaking wait until it is done. Traffic in midtown is bad anyway - but add construction and it's just miserable.
 
  It was a short but sweet visit and I am grateful we got to spend some time with her.
 

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails