February 24, 2020

Chattanooga Weekend Trip

The first weekend in February, Doug, Bri and I headed up to Chattanooga to stay the night so we could see one of my all time favorite musicals "Cats."

Briana has been hounding me to see the "Cats" movie. But, I've heard not so great things about it. I told her she had to see the real thing before I tainted her with the movie. I've seen musical "Cats" like 4 times now - my dad first brought me when I was a kid. I fell in love with it, and I used to sit in my bedroom listening to the album and memorizing all the songs. So, I wasn't going to let my kid see the crappy movie first.

Doug saw that the show was coming to Chattanooga (we missed the Atlanta run), so we jumped on the opportunity.

We stayed once again at the Westin in Chattanooga...

The lobby...

For some reason, there was a fancy Fiat parked in the lobby...

My sweet hubby got me a glass of wine while we waited for our room...

Our room...

View from our room...

We headed to dinner before seeing the show. The Old Gilman Grill was right across from our hotel...

Cheers!!!!

Ambience...


The food was so delicious. Bri devoured her hamburger...

My prime rib and charred brussel sprouts...

Doug's Cornish hen...

Apple crepe for dessert...

Then it was show time!

The Tivoli...

Cats!!!!




The stage...

We were 4th row...

Old Deuteronomy waiting for the second act to start...

Since you cannot take photos during the show, I swiped some from the internet...






The girl who played Grizabella that evening was actually the understudy (but she had been the lead a few years ago). Her name is Tricia Tanguy and she was phenomenal. People were crying in the audience when she sang "Memory"...

I found a video of her singing "Memory" on YouTube. Beautiful voice...



"Cats" will always remain one of my all time favorite musicals. Bri liked it, but I don't think any other musical will surpass "Phantom" in her mind.

Now I need to muster up the strength to see the movie version. I've heard it is so bad. Maybe it's so bad, I'll still enjoy it? To be determined!

2 Kind Words:

Debbie said...

Good for you taking B to see the show before the movie (which sounds terrible!) I think G would enjoy it too!!

Jennifer Szeto said...

Lisa, I saw "Cats" in New York with my dad in 1994. The cast sang a song that I thought--up until now--was called "Calico Cats." I just learned that it's actually called "Jellicle Cats"! Now it makes sense! =). I am glad you guys had a great time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails