Doug wanted to do something special while we were in Maui - either a helicopter ride or a sunset sail. After thinking about it a while, he went for the sunset sail. I mentioned before that I am prone to motion sickness, but I didn't want to miss out on a really cool experience with my family. I did so well with the Road to Hana (and didn't even need my dramamine). I felt kind of invincible at that moment (though I was concerned it was a three hour sail). I've been on plenty of boats before and had done pretty well, so I thought I'd be fine.
Well, I did great for the first hour. Then I started really feeling the motion of the boat and the last two hours were kind of tough for me. Luckily I didn't get sick or anything, but I was feeling rocky, uncomfortable and a little nauseous. It was kind of too late for dramamine to work at that point, so I just stuck it out. I refused to have the captain stop the sail early. I honestly wish I had enjoyed the experience more, and I'm so bummed I couldn't. Doug and Bri absolutely loved it, and though I know I put a bit of a damper on the experience (they felt bad I didn't feel well), they tried not to let it get to them which actually makes me happy. Bri said it was another one of the highlights of her trip.
This was our sailboat (we actually had to take a small boat from the shore to get to the sailboat)...
It's funny because the captain asked what kind of experience we wanted - a low key experience or a more intense one (he could play around in the waves). We went for low key obviously. I can't even imagine a more intense experience - yikes.
The sail started out great for me, and D and I chit chatted with the captain and his female crew member (they were both so nice) and there was a beautiful rainbow to start out the excursion (our three hour tour - heh)...
Beautiful views...
We all started out sitting toward the back of the sailboat, and then Bri and Doug went toward the bow of the boat and I stayed put for a while...
They were having fun taking all kinds of selfies...
This is where I maybe went wrong. I should have probably gone forward when they did. I wasn't getting enough breeze and started feeling rocky. The ocean wasn't too wavy that day, but it was still enough to mess with me.
I did finally head to where they were to get some better breeze...
Bri wanted to sit right by the side...
I was concentrating hard on focusing, taking deep breaths, keeping myself calm and trying not to think about the nausea - and I did still try to look around and see the beauty of everything.
The sun started going down...
It was truly breathtaking...
There was a super colorful fruit and cheese tray with crackers available for us - and I couldn't eat one bite...
Doug and Bri on the other hand were super happy to eat...
We went toward the back of the boat again for the food. This was our captain...
Bri chowing down right in front of me. Doug did it too...
They said all the fruit was so delicious and the cheese too. Wish I could have had some.
Sun really starting to set...
I managed a smile in front of this amazing sunset...
After three hours, we went back to shore (boats have to come back to shore before dark - it was around 7:30pm)...
The color really started to come out once we got back to the beach...
Even though I was on solid ground (thank goodness), I still was struggling with getting my head back on straight.
We walked to the car and the sky got even more bright and colorful...
Back at the hotel, I sat on the back patio for the longest time - trying to compose myself. It took a long time for me to get my head and stomach feeling normal again.
I did finally start feeling a bit hungry and ordered some soup and salad for a late dinner (Doug and Bri were full from all that fruit and cheese they consumed). The soup was delicious and I barely dented the salad - it was huge...
Even though I didn't feel well on the boat, I'm still glad I did it. Crazy - I know. I think I would have always wondered "what if" and now I know for sure - no more sailboats for me. I did get to see my daughter enjoy herself so much, so that was worth it for me in the end.
So, we had one more day left in Maui and we planned to just take it easy on Day 8. Another swim day was on tap for us...













































3 Kind Words:
So sorry you were sick, I would have been also. What an experience for all of you. Blessings
I too would have been queasy...but you did so well! Views were amazing...
Sorry you were sick but glad for you that you went and made the best of it. Such a beautiful experience!
LOL - I had to giggle to myself when I thought, 'So glad Bri didn't inherit the motion sickness gene from mom.' Yup....there are many times that I truly just forget! Do you? :)
Post a Comment