August 17, 2021

Day 3 - A Cloudy/Rainy July 4th

 
We got a notice from the hotel the morning of the 4th that the fireworks display that was set for that evening was postponed until the next day. It was just too wet and too rainy for it to happen. We were disappointed, but we understood it could be dangerous for the people setting everything up.

It was another overcast day, and you could just see how wet everything was...

Check out that super cute poodle!

Doug had read about the local July 4th parade that was happening at 11AM around the corner from our hotel. It had been raining on and off all night into the morning, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to go out and risk getting all wet. It looked like there was a bit of a lull in the rain, so we decided to go for it.

I'm glad we did because it was really cute and fun.

 I will say though - it was the first time I felt nervous with the amount of people in the crowd. We had been at the airport and on planes, but everyone was wearing masks. We were outside for the parade obviously - which was good, but hardly anyone was wearing a mask and we were a bit scrunched in (remember - this was before the delta variant surge). Doug reassured me that we were vaccinated, we were in a part of the country that vaccines are encouraged and we should be fine. So, I went with it.

This is how the parade started...


Here are some fun pictures...





I really liked the lumberjacks!

The rain held off which was great - we didn't get wet. The parade probably lasted about 25 minutes or so.

When it was over, we decided to hit a few shops while we were out...

We wanted to try and purchase some fudge, but the service was super, super slow and we actually decided to give up on that.

It was definitely a bit more crowded in the stores from everyone being at the parade...

  And there were reminders everywhere that the virus still loomed...


Bri bought a couple of things, including this fun hat...

After shopping for a while, we headed back to the room.

It started to rain again, so we decided to just go to Stewman's across the street for an early dinner - it was super convenient and so good the day before.

It was so good again...


With all the rain, we called it and just hung out in our hotel room the rest of the evening.

Doug and I had a little more champagne (had some left from the first night)...


And we watched several July 4th performance shows on TV...

It was funny to watch Ne-Yo perform in Atlanta while we were up in Maine. Atlanta looked really HOT and humid.

We were still experiencing cool temps...

So that was our rather quiet July 4th. The next day would be a really fun and interesting one for Doug and Bri, and for me, it was just super laid back.

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails