January 27, 2009

1.5 Years/A Different Kind Of Quiet

On January 30th, 2009, it will be 1.5 years since a scared and tiny little girl was placed in my arms in China. I can't believe how much Briana has grown and blossomed since then. And I also can't believe how much my life has changed in just 1.5 years.

I decided to rock Briana in her room tonight around 9:30PM because she was having a hard time falling asleep. I turned her nightlight on and I placed her sitting on my lap facing me with her arms and legs wrapped around my waist and her head laying on my chest. She would lovingly squeeze me with her hands every so often. As I was rocking her, I started thinking about how different my life was just 1.5 years ago.

I remember the longing for a child like it was yesterday. I don't think it is something that someone ever forgets even though it does fade a little - especially when you yearn for something so desperately. I didn't decorate Briana's nursery until a few months before referral because of my fear that the dream of having a child might not be realized. But I finally did decorate the room, and I remember sitting and rocking in that room by myself. I would look around at the painted walls, baby furniture and the pictures on the wall. Often I'd sit in there at night. I remember the deafening silence. No laughter. No tears. No noise. No baby. Just...quiet. A quiet kind of sadness, I guess.

Then rocking Briana tonight, I really thought about the different kind of quiet that I was experiencing in that moment sitting her room. It wasn't complete silence, but it was still very quiet. I was listening the soft hum of Briana's fan and hearing the sound of her breath. I stroked her hair and patted her back. I once again looked at the painted walls, baby furniture and the pictures on the wall and the feeling was so different. I don't feel sadness in the quiet anymore - I feel at peace. And even in those times when I am really tired and don't feel like rocking in that chair, I still feel that peace. Briana changed the quiet and took my sadness away.

To all those moms still experiencing that quiet kind of sadness, know that I think of you every day and I pray that the quiet changes for you like it did for me...

21 Kind Words:

Randi said...

You are a great mom and it makes me so happy to see you living out your dream of having a child. You write about it so well, too.

Linette said...

What a beautiful post! And I know exactly how you feel...I did the same thing in Hannah's room before she came home. And now I find myself rocking quietly in Hope's room and wondering what it will be like to have her home as well. Thanks for reminding me that it does happen and the change is more than we can ever imagine.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

That was so beautifully said Lisa!! I can totally relate to everything you wrote.....I find myself doing or not doing a lot of the same things as we wait for our last child. I cannot begin to get her room ready for fear it will never happen.....although I am not wallowing in the quiet, my house is far from quiet, but there is still an empty and quiet room, just waiting for her!

I am so happy your life changed and your dream came true....Bri is a precious angel....you are blessed to have such a special little girl.

Lisa

Linette said...

I keep meaning to ask you if I can add you to my favorite blogs list?
I love your blog and how you write about being a Mommy to Briana. :)

Laura said...

What a lovely post. Thanks so much for this. It does make things easier to know that there are people out there who have walked in our shoes and understand how we are feeling! I'm so happy that you have Briana and she has you. Makes me hopeful that our dreams will also come true some day.

Catherine said...

Thank you so much sweet friend.

You are one of the people who still holds the waiting moms close in your heart and prayers....and we feel it and know it. THANK YOU!

What a precious time you spent with your baby girl yesterday and today we are blessed because you shared it with us. Love you friend. xo

Mya said...

Awesome post! It's hard to believe it's been that long already! Thanks for reminding me!

kitchu said...

you brought me to tears with this one Lisa... thank you... for some reason this week, the wait has been really getting to me, and knowing that those who have been there and remember what that was like and once in awhile think of those of us still yearning, that means SO much.

i can't wait for a new kind of peace :O) the kind that is noisier...I can't wait to at last know what it feels like to HOLD my child. I can't even imagine the full magnitude of such a gift.

Suzie said...

I cried reading this post. It's like you know exactly how I am feeling. It's been almost three years since I started this journey and with a 9/4/2006 LID I'm not even sure that I am half way there! I pray for the day that I have a little beauty like your Briana. Thank you Lisa.

Tracy said...

Beautiful post - you captured all of those feelings (still sometimes hard to remember before our child was with us) all so well. I love that we have our children home with us, and I think about all of those still waiting all of the time - and hope they get to that peaceful place soon.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Beautifully moving.

Jennifer said...

What an amazing post... I am sitting here with a knot in my throat. Your words were perfect...

Thank you for that!!

Julie said...

Great post! I know that same feeling so well! I still rock Naomi as I read her a book and then a bit more with lights out. I just love this special time and will be so sad when she grows too big for it.

C's Mom said...

What an absolutely beautiful post. Thank you.

That 1.5 years has gone so very fast.

Ani said...

I loved this post.

When we sent our dossier to Russia we were told to expect a referral in 4-6 months, so I went out and got everything. Then the program closed, and I closed the door to the nursery... it was too painful to even see all the unused baby things. We moved to a domestic program and all of a sudden we were matched with our newborn son -we had to put it all together overnight (it was crazy, but a good kind of crazy). And I fell in love with the nursery again, rocking our baby, playing with him and just watching him sleep.

Now we're waiting for #2, all the baby things are in the next room waiting for the referral (I'm too superstitious to put it together before then), but they are full of good memories and I can't wait to make more family memories with our new child.

t~ said...

A very beautiful post that I read with tears in my eyes. I am so happy for you and the end result of Briana.

Cari said...

wow - thanks, I feel like you wrote that for me, and so many of us.
Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What a poignant, beautiful post...

Shawnstribe said...

(((Hugs))) i love your heart for those still waiting
xxx
s

Polar Bear said...

*HUGS*

This post touched my heart.

OziMum said...

Beautiful post. Yes, life is definitely different pre-babies. Having babies, definitely turns your world upside down! I will admit there have been times, I've longed for that silence... but it's fleeting, and I'm once again overwhelmed with the enormous blessing that children are.

Briana is an amazing child! You can see the joy of life in her eyes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails