August 19, 2023

Day 4 - Bonaventure Cemetery

Doug and I wanted to explore a tourist spot that we hadn't seen the year before when we visited Savannah. After a little research, we both agreed on Bonaventure Cemetery.
 
This is the description on Wikipedia...
 
 
The famous "Bird Girl" statue used to be located in the cemetery, but she became so popular after the movie came out, she needed to be moved for safety purposes. She was moved to the Telfair Academy Museum, and Doug and I saw her there last year...

So, Doug and I got up early in the morning on a Wednesday to head over to the cemetery. We knew temperatures were going to keep creeping up during the day (and it was going to get even muggier), so we wanted to go as early as we could...
 
 
Driving in...
 

Parking was located right near the river...
 
Then we started to explore. There is an app for the phone that explains a lot of about the grave sites as visitors walk around. The trees were so beautiful...


This is the tallest monument in the cemetery...

The General Lawton and family cemetery plot...



The Jewish section of the cemetery...

War veterans/soldiers/military section...

The grave I really wanted to see was Gracie Watson's grave...

 
Gracie passed when she was just six years old and it is believed she still haunts the cemetery. She became such a tourist draw, her grave and statue needed to be placed behind an iron fence for protection...
 

I thought this tombstone was so thoughtful and creative. I read that this man was a piano teacher...

It is always heartbreaking to see graves of little ones...

Every row we walked down, there was another beautiful statue or tombstone...
 


The cemetery was just amazing...


After walking around a couple of hours, we eventually tapped out. We were hot, tired and getting hungry. So glad we visited though. Wished it had been a bit cooler that day, but it was still a great visit.

It was time to eat some lunch. Part two of day 4 coming next...

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails