Neat Thing #9
Barry Manilow Concert!
In my defense, a little back story...
I was born in 1973. I believe Barry Manilow made it big in 1975. My parents were big Barry Manilow fans when I was growing up. They saw the Barry Manilow Live concert in the late 70's and brought home the double album. I played that album over and over, and my favorite part was when Barry Manilow sang the jingles he had written. I was fascinated that Barry Manilow was actually the Band-Aid and Dr. Pepper jingle guy. Almost every time my parents got in the car when I was a kid, Barry's greatest hits cassette was pushed into the player. I knew the words to "American Bandstand" by heart. How many 7 year old kids can say that? Very few I am sure.
Now I admit, I am a bigger fan of Barry Manilow's earlier music than with the albums he puts out now. My sister is also a fan (remember now, we grew up with the same parents), and she and I dragged our poor husbands to see a concert when Manilow came to Atlanta years ago. What troopers... That was Barry's last tour. The last one. Never to tour again. When I heard that Barry Manilow had a show in Vegas, I mentioned in passing to Doug that it would be neat to see one day. I honestly never thought that Doug would incorporate the show into our Vegas itinerary. See - my husband is so great, he endured not only one Manilow concert, but TWO. He is truly a keeper.
When we entered the Hilton that evening for the concert, most of the people waiting in line had probably eaten their dinner around 4PM that afternoon. There were maybe a handful of younger people there, but they were pretty few and far between. We entered the auditorium, and Doug had reserved really great seats. The concert was fun and very entertaining - not just Barry sitting at a piano. Doug enjoyed the show, but after the concert, he lovingly stated to me that this would be the last Manilow concert he would be attending with me. I am fine with that - he did good. So on this trip he got Star Trek, and I got Manilow. I think that's fair (even if Doug doesn't - LOL).
So that's my story. Please be kind. I am fragile!


14 Kind Words:
(singing) Her name was Lola....
I love Barry!! Perhaps not as much as you, dear friend. But there's no shame in loving Barry, really.
Did I tell you how much I love Dolly Parton? Everyone's got secrets.
Ok Ok I'll come along side of you and admit it also. I kinda like the guy too. My dad died when I was little and I distinctly remember him listening to Barry so it's like going down memory lane. Nothing like the old stuff.
Love the slide show feature. I've been trying to figue it out and I think I finally did. Didn't see the stars as an option though.
I am right there with you! I think Barry is a very talented. I enjoy his older music.
Looks like a great concert. What a guy you have to surprise you with the concert. Bonus points for him! :)
He is one great musician and performer! I like your photos! Come visit my blog site for more of The Man! Some vintage videos and some I have created. Hope you enjoy!
http://shadowsofmanilow.blogspot.com/
Or just click on my icon....
moonstone
Okay - I am laughing. Only really at the fact that I was in LOVE with Barry when I was young - and also the fact that you said "Fanilow" was that a Friends episode? NO - Will and Grace. Oh god that was funny.
Okay.... Barry Manilow? You know you will hear this for the rest of your life! Wait until I tell Briana.... hee hee hee
Scott and I were just singing Mandy on Sunday! He is not a fan,lol but I am!
LOL about American Bandstand! I watched that every week and completely forgot about it.
Ok, I remember the album and have to say that I'm not only a big fanilow but I LOVE Neil Diamond,too!
Barry Manilow? I just can't do it. I can't say anything without being....um.....mean....LOL! I just....cough.....ahem.....giggle....
snort.....I can't.....comment....ahem.
Janet T.
Tee hee.
Lisa, Your not alone. My mom was/is a huge fan of Barry. Like you, we listened to it in the car a lot as children! So yes I like him too, mainly his older music. I would not mind seeing his show but unlike your hubs, mine just would do it!
Let the madness stop!! I think it is too funny that you used these words in the same post...
Barry Manilow
Fanilow
Jingles
Cassette
Albums
Auditorium
Star Trek
This post lightened up my mood today and I honestly think that it is sweet that you are a Manilow fan. There is no shame in that...Star Trek...not so sure.;)
Joel is a rabid Trekky, so I understand your hubby's fascination.
..she was a showgirl
I will not make fun of you..Im proud of you..hope you had a good time
Yep, hon, it takes guts to post that! LOL
I'm only kidding ya. I grew up on Tammy Wynette and George Jones and Loretta Lynn. Oh, the memories, especially that D I V O R C E song. I remember belting that out when we were kids.
I saw Barry back when I was 12. Wow...hmm....I never have been able to talk to anyone named 'Mandy' without making little references :0)
Post a Comment