Despite Briana cutting her finger so badly the night before, the morning of our trip to Florida we were all smiles. I was ready to see my old stomping grounds again (I hadn't driven by my old neighborhood in about 10 years) and I couldn't wait to show Briana where I used to live (I was born there and moved when I was 13). I was also excited to see my friends and family.
The trip itinerary was ambitious and jam-packed. There were a lot of places I wanted to go and a lot of people I wanted to see. We came in on a Wednesday, we visited with people Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and then we came home on Monday. So, there was really no rest for the weary.
I don't know when I'll be taking a trip back to Miami, so I wanted to get in as much as I could while I was there. I have to say a HUGE thank you to my husband and child. My husband shuttled me every single place I wanted to go and my daughter accompanied me to every place I wanted to show her and played/had fun with all the children she came in contact with - even children she hadn't met before. This really was MY trip and they tagged along. Not saying they didn't have a good time because they did, but this really was my trip down memory lane.
I've lived in Georgia for almost 30 years (and love it), but Miami still feels like home to me. When I get off the plane, that is how I feel. There is a comforting familiarity. So much has changed in 30 years, but there are a few things that have stayed the same.
The first half of our trip was spent in Miami and then we headed up to Ft. Lauderdale for the second half.
This is the house I used to live in (taken on our trip)...
It looks so different now. The room on the left was originally a garage. The house is similar in color but the roof is completely different. The roof was destroyed in Hurricane Andrew and a new one was put on. I have a feeling the 70's style burnt orange colored rug is no longer in the house.
Sadly, it looks like my parents maintained the house a bit better than the current owners.
This is how it looked when I lived it in (wish I had a whole shot of the house)...
And we certainly didn't have a BMW or Mercedes sitting in the driveway. Heh.
It was still pretty cool driving through the old neighborhood though. It felt like I was 8 years old again - for just a minute.
So sit back and enjoy the tales of my visit. This will take a while. It really was an amazing trip for me. My one regret is that I didn't make this trip before my grandmother passed away. I did visit her grave while I was there - and I am very glad I was able to do that.
Ok - here we go...



1 Kind Words:
This is very cool!
Post a Comment