November 1, 2010

Feeling A Bit Blue

Tree In Front Of House

I had a wonderful Halloween, autumn makes me happy and Briana always keeps me on my toes, but underneath it all, I have been feeling a bit blue.

I think part of my mood may be attributed to the fact that November 13 was supposed to be my due date. It wasn't meant to be. I still have sadness about it. My mom asked me recently how I have been doing (knowing the due date is coming up soon) and that meant a lot to me. November is a tough month for me. It is also the month that I had my first miscarriage a week before Thanksgiving back in 2002.

I've been taking a lot of pictures of autumn all around me. It makes me feel better when I am feeling melancholy. Fall is my favorite time of year and I love all the color. The temperatures make me want to be outside and breathe in the fresh air.

This is the nature area next to my house...

Nature Area
This is a tree in a shopping mall parking lot...

Yellow Leaves
This is a daddy long legs I spotted on the tree in front of my house.

Daddy Long Legs

I think I am feeling a bit lost right now. Briana is in school four mornings a week. Next year she will be in kindergarten 5 days a week. At the beginning of this year, I thought that taking care of an infant and learning to be a mom to two kids was in my future, but all of that was derailed. Now I know I am going to be a mom to just one. I am always going to be a full time mom to Briana, but I need to figure out what the next move in my life is now. I spent 6 years completely consumed with starting a family. Trying and failing. Trying and failing. Over and over and over again. Then finally a success. Beautiful Briana came into my life. As soon as she entered my life, I focused 100% on her and on being her mother - which I have done for 3 years. I waited so long for her and I have cherished every second of her. Because having children was so painstakingly difficult for Doug and me, furthering myself in a job or career became second fiddle to my main mission of starting a family. I knew deep in my heart I was meant to be a mother - and now that I am Briana's mommy, I know I was absolutely right. I love being her mother and Briana will always come first no matter what. But as she gets older, she will become more and more independent. She will always be my number 1 priority, but now that I finally know that I am done growing my family, I need to find myself again - somehow. I really liked my job before Briana came along, but I'm not sure I want to go back to that. And in this housing market, I'm not sure that going back to what I did before is plausible anyway. Like I said, I am feeling quite lost and confused right now.

I'm going to enjoy the upcoming holidays and then at the first of the year, I need to figure out what I want to do next. I need to move into the next stage of my life. I just need to figure out how to do it.

18 Kind Words:

Michelle said...

I'm sorry you are feeling blue. That is totally understandable. I wish I lived in a place where the colors of fall were as beautiful as yours. So pretty.

Randi said...

Im sorry to hear that you have been feeling down. I wish that I had some words of wisdom for you. I do know what it is like to have to deal with your reality not being what you had planned on. Im sending you a hug.

Unknown said...

Sending hugs to you! You are a very talented photographer. I love looking at your pictures. :)

Lisa~~ said...

Sorry that you are blue, big hugs.

Kim said...

Big Hugz my friend..
You never know what God has in store for you ..
And you will figure out what you want to do..
Love ya ..Enjoy the holidays with your AMAZING family..
Hugz..

Liene said...

The first thing I need to say is that your pictures are great. I love them Lisa!

OK, on to the other stuff. November is hard for me too. I was due Nov 7, 2000 with what would have been our 1st child. Not a year goes by that on that day I don't think about my baby. This year my baby would've been 10 and that just blows my mind still.

You are a great mom. Briana is so lucky to have you and Doug. Hang in there my friend.

Lindsay said...

So sorry that you are having this sadness just now. Sending you hugs.

Bailey said...

I just want to go right over there and give you a great big hug. I do understand some of the struggles you have faced. Honestly, they stink! But, when you look into the eyes of your beautiful girl, you are truly blessed.
November 13 is a day of celebration for us in our house. Maybe you can share in this with us. The day is my birthday and is also the day that Liliana was handed to me in 2006. It is our forever family day, and we cherish it dearly. I hope that you can find some amazing joy during this time of year to make it much easier to deal with.
Hugs...

La Dolce Vita: The Sweet Life said...

I am so sorry that you are feeling blue, and that you are approaching what would have been your due date. It is not a loss that I can imagine. I just trust that your heart is hurting, and hate that for you.

I hope you will not be offended when I say that I think God is knocking at your heart through this feeling of searching "for something more". That was my first thought upon reading your post.

Big hugs to you. Thanks for being honest and vulnerable.

Chani's Bow Making Mama said...

I'm sorry you're feeling down and know you'll find your way soon. You're an amazing Mom to one amazing kid. Let's get together soon.

Two Kayaks said...

It's so difficult to create a new reality for your life when, for so long, it looked different in your mind's eye.
You will find your way, of this I am sure. I can't wait to see what is in store for you.
Big squishy hugs from me to you.

Ann Sis In-law said...

Lisa -

I love you...
Though I will never truly understand your feelings of loss, please know that I am thinking of you and sending hugs your way. The deeper the pain, the tighter and longer the hug.

Don't try to force your next steps in life. In the early quiet hours of the morning or within the hustle of the day, a voice inside you is telling you what is right - listen to the voice when it speaks to you.

Please don't forget how much your creative spirit has touched so many lives - through your written words and photography. You have a gift.

Always [[HUGS]] and forever my love.

Debbie said...

Hi, Ive followed your blog for a while but never commented before. After reading your "feeling blue" comments, I wanted to let you know that i know how you feel after being in a similar situation. I dont want to sound cliche or condescending but it will get easier as time passes. My husband and I adopted a baby girl, Gracie earlier this year and she too has brought us much love and a new focus in life. November is always a very tough month for me as well...hopefully it will pass soon and we can look forward to Christmas with our girls! Debbie

Jennifer said...

I am so sorry you are having those feelings...

I know that what ever you decide to do with the next stage in life will be the right decision! Take care of yourself...

Angela and Jay said...

Saying a prayer for you, my friend. Praying you will find peace and direction as you move into another season of motherhood and life. Our season with our baby/toddler girls flew by didn't it? Thankful for the memories our girls made together and looking forward to making more with our little girls!

Hope we can get together soon.

Lacie said...

Hi Lisa,

I've been thinking about you and I hope that you are finding some comfort on your sadness. I am sorry that you are feeling sad, and I can certainly understand. It's so very sad to mourn a lost little one, and that is a part of your heart that might always be broken. The grieving is sad and exhausting and I hope that you are working towards some peace.

I am wondering (career-wise) if you could seek out a job doing something that you love doing or want to learn more about and then take it from there.

For example, two summers ago, I worked part time for The Picture People at the mall. Yes, I worked with mostly teenagers and college kids, but I learned a lot from a few really good photographers. I learned all about posing children, infants and families. I learned about framing my shots and the editing process. Overall, it was a really good experience and it fueled my passion.

Can you start thinking about where your passions could take you? Is there something that you'd like to learn that could be a job? I say take this opportunity to get back to being you. Of course being Briana's mom will always be your number one job. But, you are a fascinating and woman and you owe it to yourself and Briana to flourish.

Christie said...

Hugs friend...I so feel your sentiment. XO

We are Counting the Days said...

I can only imagine how difficult this time is for you. Take care.

Related Posts with Thumbnails