We woke up on Day 5 - our day to go home. Our plan was to order some room service and then drive to the NJ airport for a 2:30pm flight. Well, we started to watch the news and the weather report was saying that the wind and rain were going pick up big time by the afternoon and that the airports in the area might have to shut down. Oh crap! It wouldn't be a trip to NYC for our family without some sort of drama. If you remember, we had to get out of NYC quickly the first time we visited because of a snow threat.
Doug immediately gets online to see if he can move our flight up. I had already pushed myself hard on this trip and I was ready to get home! He told us to hustle and pack up our stuff as fast as possible in case we could get on an earlier flight.
Bri and I were throwing our stuff into our suitcases. Luckily, we had started packing things up the night before, but there was still enough that needed to be packed. Doug miraculously managed to get us on an earlier flight (I think 90 minutes earlier). But to make it, we needed to grab a car right then and leave the hotel - no breakfast for us.
Luckily, there are cars available in front of the W Hotel. They are a bit pricey, but we didn't have time to worry about it. Our driver got us to the airport in plenty of time (traffic was backing up going the other way into the city - luckily not our way). We got through security pretty easily and went to the Delta Sky Club - where we finally got some breakfast.
The plane took off on time and we were so glad to make it out...
Whew.
Doug did find out that the flight that we were supposed to be on at the later time loaded the passengers on to the plane but then they sat on the runway for 2 hours before taking off. So the airport didn't close, but everything was delayed. We were so happy we got out before that!
*********************
So there you go. Our spring break trip to NYC. The trip I wasn't even sure I could go on. But we did it and we did a lot of cool stuff! A big thank you to Doug and Bri for putting up with me when I was struggling. I'm super proud of myself for going. I definitely made the right decision!



0 Kind Words:
Post a Comment