July 30, 2007

Briana Day

Ladies and Gentleman...we have our daughter Briana...

She is beautiful, amazing and has the most gorgeous smile. Unfortunately, we didn't really see it until we got back to the hotel. In all honestly, Gotcha Day was pretty rough - not even close to the scenerio I had always dreamed of. Briana was sooooo upset and crying. The minute they handed her to me she was hysterical. Of course, all the other babies were fine - Briana was the screamer! She cried, and cried, and cried. The bottle they gave us had a broken top on it and the formula kept flying out of it. We were covered in formula in the family photo. Good gravy. And she was covered in mosquitos bites - on her forehead, arms, legs and she was sweating like crazy. She was so hot and upset. We managed to get one or two smiles out of her at the civil affairs office when we walked out of the main room - away from all the chaos. I was so worried that we would not be able to console her. Finally, when we got back on the bus, I sat her on my lap, she finally took her bottle and fell asleep. When we got to the room, she woke up and seemed like another child. Smiling and so happy. She did cry some when I changed her diaper and gave her a quick sponge bath, but after that, we were golden. We finally got her to sleep about 10PM. Doug is already asleep now too. I am so beat, but I wanted to let you know we are parents. She is the most amazing baby in the world.

We are in love...

Here some pics...

Gotcha photo - Doug is covered in formula and Briana is in tears!

The one smile we got at the civil affairs office.

The bus ride back. Look at how hot she was!

Briana happy and smiling in her new sleeper.

Our angel....

82 Kind Words:

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Congrats - we got our "screamer" 2 weeks ago and it took 5 days to see a smile! She is beautiful - I know you are thrilled!

Lucy

Anonymous said...

Lisa and Doug,

I am Kelly from New York and have been following your website for a while. Your journey reminds me so much of ours... my husband Dennis and I met our beautiful 9-month-old baby girl Madeleine in January 2006 in Jiangxi. Gotcha Day was the best and worst day of our lives. Maddie, like Briana, was so, so upset and just cried and cried for three days (that's actually a good thing, it means she can form attachments). Just hold her and love her. That's what she needs the most right now. You will get through these first few days just fine and then you will be home and you won't remember life before her. And when you have been home for a while and she is calling for Mommy and Daddy you will look back on this day and think "Wow, I didn't ever think this day would come." She is a very lucky little girl to be blessed with such nice and loving parents. She is absolutely gorgeous and you are a beautiful family. Hang in there.. small steps... she has to learn to love and trust you (even though you instantly fell in love with her) and she will. I am so happy she is finally in your arms. Soak up all the sights and sounds that you can and take lots of pictures!

Kelly
Liverpool, NY
mom to Madeleine, from Jiangxi
Gotcha Day 1/18/06

Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa and Doug,

I have been following your journey for 3-4 months now. What a precious gift you have been given. She is so adorable! Although you may have had a rough start with your Gotcha moment, you would never know it! The pictures show such happiness!!!! Congratulations on becoming a beautiful family.
I love, love, love the picture of her sleeping. So content....what an angel.
Get some sleep Mommy! Sweet dreams...

Thanks for sharing.
Shelley
Canada

Anonymous said...

Congrats Lisa and Doug!! I had tears running down my face reading your post. I have been checking your blog every 10 mins. since I got up this morning. She is beautiful and looks to be so happy with her Mommy and Daddy. Get rest while you can and post more pics when you have time. Thanks for taking the time to share your day!!
Erin
Indiana

RoLo said...

She is beautiful:) Your first family photo is wonderful:) aaaah I am so happy this post has made my day:) Congratulations:)

Kim said...

oh my how these photos and your story brings back the memories and the tears of joy! Congratulations to you all!!! You know you can't consider yourself "broken in" until you are covered in formula so welcome to the world of parenting :) You guys look gorgeous by the way...you can't tell that it's hot by looking at your smile, you're as cool as a cucumber and happy as a lark!

Briana is so beautiful!!!! I thought of you last night as I was putting Jaiden to bed and how you were experiencing those first moments together at that time. Getting to know your new baby girl is a precious time that you'll treasure for always. Take loads of photos and write down every detail, even if it doesn't seem so significant at the time. I wish now that I'd taken more notes :)

blogreader said...

So many happy tears for the three of you right now. She is an absolute beautiful angel (that sleeping photo is precious) and you are such a sweet family. Thanks for sharing your joureny - it has helped me tremendously this past month as my wait wears on. I look forward to seeing the rest of your trip. Enjoy this time!!

Tracy
LID 11*22*05

Tracy said...

Okay that is weird - my comment came in as "Sue", and my name is Tracy!! I will re-post it now:

So many happy tears for the three of you right now. She is an absolute beautiful angel (that sleeping photo is precious) and you are such a sweet family. Thanks for sharing your joureny - it has helped me tremendously this past month as my wait wears on. I look forward to seeing the rest of your trip. Enjoy this time!!

Tracy
LID 11*22*05

Ani said...

She's beautiful. You must be beyond thrilled to finally have your little angel with you.
Congratulations!!!!!

Polar Bear said...

Oh My Goodness!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can't see the monitor because of all the tears.

Briana is BEAUTIFUL!! I am so happy she has settled in for now. I'm so happy for all of you!!

*HUGS*

Stephanie said...

Tears are in my eyes. Oooh, she is absolutely beautiful and what a beautiful family you make.

Congratulations!

Kim said...

She is sooo pretty..
She has a lot of hair.. love it..
My eyes are tearing up just looking at the pictures..
You guys look soooo HAPPY.. I can see the LOVE in your eyes..
Can't wait to see more..
Have a great evening..
She is beautiful...
Your long waiting journey is over and now you will have your amazing journey as a FAMILY..
You make it so much more real..
Thinking of all 3 of you..
Kim

kitchu said...

YEEEEEEAAAAA... I am almost crying over here I'm so happy (and I would be crying if I weren't at work)!! Can't wait for Blog Break 08... I'll get to meet your adorable (VERY adorable) Briana!!!!!

Congratulations Mom and Dad!!

Unknown said...

I decided to read your blog post before checking out my bloglines..Good thing I did! Wonderful news and what I beautiful family! Brianna has a great smile!@!!

Angela said...

Boohooing along with everybody else!
She is just absolutely adorable as I'm sure you would agree! Course I could'nt hear the screaming, but nontheless, SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!!
Congrats!

Moosevine said...

Congratulations Mommy & Daddy! What a heart-melting smile!!! Hope you're all able to get a good night's sleep tonight.

kim said...

Congrats! Many tears of joy over here for you three! You will be great parents, enjoy each other! Praying that the rest of your trip with her is wonderful. Get rest when you can.
Kim

Anonymous said...

Lisa and Doug, she is just a beautiful baby! Congratulations. I can't believe she is finally in your arms...I'm so happy for you and just look at how happy you guys are!

M,R,J1,J2 said...

Congratulations Mom and Dad! We are so happy for you! Having formula on your clothes is part of it all (psst-some of it doesn't come out in the wash). Briana is beautiful! You are a wonderful family!
Hugs,
Micha, Richard and Jarod
Orlando, FL
LID: 05/24/06

Sonia said...

Ahhhh, congratulations! Welcome to parenthood!! Briana is so pretty ~ what a precious, precious baby(:

Mick said...

My cup runneth over.

She IS perfect!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Congratulations! He's gorgeous.

Joy

Anonymous said...

Ok - I'm sitting here crying tears of happiness for you three! She looks gorgeous and I think you all handled things like champs. Hope the night is a restful one and you have a wonderful first full day as a family.

Best wishes,
Amy, Kevin, and Garrett

Krista Dolan said...

YEAH!! I'm so happy for all of you!
She is so beautiful!!! Just like her MOM!!! :)

Congratulations
Krista and Lily

Two Kayaks said...

Okay, so I log off for like an HOUR and all of this happens!!!!
She is sooooo beautiful and you look so incredibly happy, my sweet friend!
Sigh...my faith is being renewed.

Lisa~~ said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you, Briana is adorable and you make a beautiful family. Doing the happy dance for you!!

Headmeister said...

With tears in my eyes and chills down my arms, I just wanted to say congrats, mamma and daddy!!! She truly is an angel!!!! Hugs to all THREE of you!!!!!

Pug Mama said...

Oh my gawd! I can't take it, I am bawling!!
She looks like Doug in the close-up photo!!!!

Chani's Bow Making Mama said...

She is so beautiful! I've been waiting all day for this. I can't believe she is smiling already. You must be making her happy already. Way to go. You guys look so happy together! Now, get some rest! We're so happy for you guys!

4D said...

Congrats Mommy and Daddy! I am so happy for you.

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

She is the cutest thing in the world! Congratulations - I love her smile!
You are a mommy and daddy - feeding Briana, changing diapers and all the fun stuff!
Wes and I are so honored to be Briana's new uncle and aunt!!

t~ said...

Fantastic family photo! What amazing first moments! She looks so sweet and she certainly has a smile that would melt anyone's heart. Congratulations!

Johnny said...

Congrats! The picture of her on the bed, smiling is fab.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! What a cutie and that smile. Can't wait to follow the rest of your journey.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Lisa, Doug, and now sweet little angel Briana! You are one of the most beautiful familes I have ever seen!! We are so full of joy for you, words can not express!! We can't wait to meet her!! Congratulations Mommy and Daddy!!!!

She is absolutly beautiful!

Catherine said...

Congratulations!!! What an exciting family day! Briana is absolutely precious and mama and daddy are beaming!

Blessings friend!

Cindy said...

she is just gorgeous! absolutely love that smile. congratulations - you are a family!

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

OMG ~ She is beautiful! You look so very happy! I can't believe that she is FINALLY with you.

Hope all is well with you, Doug, and Briana! Ian and LiLi say hi :D

Anonymous said...

she is p-r-e-c-i-o-u-s

Georgia said...

She is so beautiful. Beautiful! And such a smile. I am so happy for you I don't know what to do! I can't wait to show Jeff.

Love you guys!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I am SO happy for you, Lisa and Doug. She is GORGEOUS!!! I feel like crying seeing the pictures. I was dying to see them! You both look really happy (and tired....LOL!) May you enjoy every second, even the crying. I am so so so so so so so so so happy for you!!!

~ Alison said...

Oh Lisa, she is just beautiful!!! Congrats to the new Mom & Dad!

It took days for me to get a smile out of Mali, and even longer to capture one on film.

Best wishes & hugs to that little cutie of yours!

Deb in MT said...

Lisa & Doug - Briana is so beautiful and has an amazing smile that looks just like yours! Congratulations on your new sweetie!

Debbie M.

Anonymous said...

All the pictures are so special, but, my favorite is you feeding Brianna the bottle on the bus. You complete joy is just radiating! I am so happy for the three of you.

Lots of hugs,

Christine

Anonymous said...

She is so precious and beautiful. I am so happy for the 2 of you. Can't wait to meet her.

Love
Debra & Zachary

Anonymous said...

Awwww.... Congratulations!

Briana is simply so dang cute. What a lovely smile. All the best wishes in the world goes to you.

Oh and nothing like being covered in formula to break in parenthood. I guarentee you this much - it wont be the last time :)

Cecilie,
Denmark

Abby's Mom said...

Happy Brianna day! Congratulations :) She is Georgous!

Colleen said...

YIPPPPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man is she ever cute!!! Congratulations to you both. Hugs from the US!

Chani's Bow Making Mama said...

I keep coming in here to look. You guys are so perfect together. What a wonderful day this has been.

Eliza2006 said...

While I was in China, a SW friend e-mailed me and assured me that sadness was a sign of good mental health. While it's so hard to have a screaming baby, rest assured that this is a good reaction.

Your daughter is beautiful!

Tiffany

Elise said...

Wow...she looks just amazing! So happy with her new mom and dad! Congrats!

Liz and Ava said...

Oh, she is just beautiful! I'm so happy for you both!
As hard as it is for parents to see their new baby upset and crying it is actually a good sign...something you want to see. My social worker always told me that if the child doesn't cry or seem upset when separated from the nanny or foster mother that they may not have attached, but if they cry and put up a fuss...this is a sign that they have attached...and a child that has attached can attach again.
So look at all the crying the first day as a good sign of things to come.
Congratulations Mom and Dad!

Shannon said...

Briana is beautiful. Congratulations on your family day even if it was rocky and you got covered in goop. You guys look so happy and it is wonderful to see people becoming parents. You must be over the moon and overwhelmed all at the same time. Best of luck with the rest of your time in China!

Shannon,
LID 7/6/06

DAVID AND AMY VENN'S WEBSITE said...

We are so HAPPY for you two. She is beautiful!! I am so happy for you that you were able to see her smile so soon!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

C's Mom said...

She's amazing! I am so happy for the three of you.

Beautiful times are ahead.

Stacey said...

Lisa and Doug,
She is so beautiful! I am so happy for you two and I remeber all to well the chaos of gothcha day just five short months ago, boy do I miss China now. Congratulations and here is wishing you a most blessed and wonderful discovry time with your daughter over the next few weeks! Stacey

Special K said...

Congratulations!! She is perfect.
You've finally graduated from being a "couple" to now a "family"!!!

Roy and Lori said...

She is so beautiful!! Mom and Dad
look so happy.........Congrats!

Alyson and Ford said...

Ah,,, You must be walking on air. So happy all 3 of you... CONGRATULATIONS!!!

fm

LaLa said...

Tears of joy for you. She is gorgeous...lucky Mama and Baba!!

Anonymous said...

Lisa & Doug-
I somehow found your blog a few months ago and it wasn;t uttil today I realised how I found it. Anyway, I am a longtime lurker from SC and waiting for a referral as well (LID 3/1/06). COngrats on Briana. I am so happy for you all. I will keep cheking bakc this weke and next for more posts on your adventure. Blessings,
Patti

Trixie said...

She's lovely and looks just like her DADDY! Seriously. Check out that photo a bit closer. Sooo similiar!

Hang in there. You will be home soon where AC and swimming pools rule.

Harry said...

She's Beautiful
Absolutely Georgious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make a great looking family.

Were looking forward to meeting the latest member of the family in person.
Lots of love

Aunt Gail & Harry

3 Peanuts said...

Oh my she is stunningly beautiful. Congrats!

Kim

Deb said...

Oh Lisa and Doug look at the glow on your faces....Doug you are totally a natural look at you and Lisa your mama glow is radiating all over that photo of you holding her on the bus. I am soooooo happy for you both. Briana what a blessing you are....welcome to your new life.
Hugabugz
Debz

Holly said...

Oh she is so beautiful....Congrats!

Susie said...

I am so happy for you. I'm sure it is so tough, but wonderful! Good luck in the upcoming few days. Our thoughts are with you.

Lily's Pad said...

She is so precious. Congratulations! You all look so happy. Love her hair!

Mary

Liene said...

She is absolutely gorgeous!!! Lisa, you have truly been blessed. I'm so happy for all my blogging buddies who are getting or have gotten their daughters recently. In this crazy adoption game it keeps giving me hope that my time will come when it seems like it will never happen.

I know it will be a little rough in the beginning. When we adopted Eriks at birth I thought I was going to go crazy! You just can't prepare the same way parents who give birth can. But it all ended up ok. We got the hang of it and the rest is history!

Yen973 said...

Lisa and Doug,
Congratulations Mom and Dad. Briana is so beautiful. Take lots of pictures and enjoy that beautiful girl.
Dana

OziMum said...

I kept checking last night before I went to bed... but no Briana!! I've finally gotten around to dropping by, and OMG! She is such a sweetheart!

I'm so sorry you guys got covered in formula! If you got Briana to go from Screamer to Smiler... you guys are champions!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Steffie B. said...

Congratulations......every picture is beautiful...formula and all. You look radiant.....enjoy your time....

Zack, Jenn and William said...

She is amazing... congratulations!

Anonymous said...

All is right with the world, you are parents. Your daughter is adorable. Can't wait until you get home!

Love, Carole

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

I am beside myself with joy for you! She is BEAUTIFUL and I think it's a good sign that she cried! I can't wait to see more pics!

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!

Anonymous said...

Doug & Lisa,
This is a little late!! Had a busy weekend and am just now getting around to catching up!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! She is beautiful!!!

Lisa said...

A big congratulations!!! You all look soooo happy! And Brianna is sooo cute! This is such an amazing and exciting time.... enjoy every minute of it! So happy for you guys!

Lisa :)

Lisa said...

P.S. We have a Chongqing Beauty as well! Enjoy the city and hope you get to see the Pandas! Very amazing city you are in!

Lisa :)

Lisa said...

SHE IS BEAUTIFUL! SO SO PRETTY!

Dannye said...

congrats Lisa and Doug, she is just darling!! so glad you guys got her smiles not long after Gotcha Day!!! here's to many more smiles your way!!!

Jill and Jaap said...

She is so beautiful! So sweet, congratulations!!!!

Mya said...

She is a doll! We just got home and I had to check in on Briana. Your "Gotcha day" sounded like ours. It was nothing I had invisioned but quite scary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails