July 15, 2010
How Do You Solve A Problem Like Briana?
How do you solve a problem like Briana?
How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
How do you find a word that means Briana?
A flibbertijibbet! A will-o'-the wisp! A clown!
Oh, how do you solve a problem like Briana?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?
Well, how do I? My girl. My sweet, over-enthusiastic little firecracker. My 150 mile an hour girl. Seriously, this summer is killin' me. Trying to keep my girl busy this summer is making this mama extremely tired. (Thank goodness she is in camp next week!)
Briana's instructors really love her. She really wants to learn. She is so very eager to learn - to the point that she calls out her instructors names over and over during her lessons to show them exactly what she is doing. Just like she does to me all the time - "WATCH ME MAMA!!!" But I know she tires them out too.
Here are a few conversations I have had lately with Briana's instructors...
Gymnastics...
(Briana was asked to be in an "invitation only" gymnastics class called "Gymtastics" starting in August. It is for kids that have "potential" according to Briana's summer gymnastics instructor.)
Ms. Allison: "I'd like to invite Briana to register for the invitation only gymnastics class."
Me: Uh, really? Wow!
Ms. Allison: "Oh yes. I think she has lots of potential. She is very strong, listens to directions well and is completely fearless."
Me: "Yep, she is fearless. And it scares me to death."
Ms. Allison: "By the way, when will she be 5?"
Me: "Um, when she turns 4. She doesn't turn 4 until next month."
(I couldn't believe it. She thought she was already 4.)
Soccer...
(Briana's coach was talking to another parent about what class his child should be enrolled in as I was standing nearby. The child was a student in the class right before Briana's class. We showed up a few minutes early for her class, so the coach had her kicking the ball around until the other students showed up.)
Coach Carey (to other parent): "I'm thinking your son should probably move up to the next level. He is doing really well and I think he is ready to move up. He is catching on very quickly."
Parent: "I was thinking that too. I think he needs to move up. I don't want him to get bored in class."
Coach Carey: "See that one over there (pointing to Briana)? She is my mover. She isn't four yet, but she is in the four year old class. She catches on quickly and never stops moving."
Me: "Yep, she never stops moving. Ever." *Sigh of exhaustion*
Swim Lesson...
(I told Briana's coach last night that she needs to work on her arm strokes a bit. She is not reaching out to make big strokes - she is doing more "doggie paddle" type movements with her arms. I asked if he could work on that with her some more.)
(After Briana's lesson)
Coach Boyd: Um, Briana is scaring me a little.
Me: (Thinking to myself "Oh good grief.")
Coach Boyd: She is soooo adventurous. She is getting more and more comfortable in the water. She is swimming under water for long periods of time and not taking a breath. Then she gasps for air and takes in water instead. (Thus the choking I heard three or four times during the lesson.)
Me: Yes, I know. She was doing that at the pool with me yesterday. I don't really know how to get her to take a breath.
(He then gave me a few instructions on how to work with her on her breathing on my own.)
Me: (Thinking to myself again..."How do I get her to take a breath in the water when she doesn't take a freakin' breath on land?")
Honestly, Briana really is a joy. A wonderful, exhaustive joy. Her enthusiasm for everything is amazing. I never have to push her to do anything. She just does it. And she is not hyperactive. She has the ability to concentrate and has lots of focus. It is just her enormous energy level. I just need her to take it down a notch. Not a big notch - just a little notch. Then maybe I'll be able to catch my breath on land. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 Kind Words:
Lisa - I'd like to know what you feed Bri, so I can try to replicate that kind of energy! [I'm feel like I'm running on fumes these days...]
I know what you mean, but it does get easier in time. Sam is just about 10 and he has slowed down alot, but then yet I have a boy! As for myself, i'm always wanting to keep busy.
Love the photo.
Sherri
I am looking at you to tell me how to parent a child like Brianna, because I think that Emma is going to follow in her footsteps.
This reminds me of the Tongginator's best friends, the twins. They can already do the crawl, with breathing, and they are six. They look like ten-year-olds out there. And watching them play lacrosse... well... they are running past the nine-year-olds out there and catching the ball. It's unbelievable. The Tongginator was NEVER like this. She's a girl on the move, but she's the one also walking into walls and falling down. Heh.
I know what you mean... My 4 year old spent 4 weeks at a day camp and is now on week 2 of tennis/swim camp. I would love to have him at home, but he REALLY needs an outlet for his energy, and with baby sister in tow our energy-burning options are limited.
On the plus side, the same energy he brings to sports he brings to everything he does in life... and I LOVE that :-)
Love this!! I have seen it in action and just have to laugh! Briana is a little doll!! One day, you will be glad that she takes life by the reigns and tells it who is boss!! Have fun! She will only be little once!! :D
Fan of Briana,
Amy :D
If you ever figure out how to bottle all of that energy, send me a quart! :)
Love,
Cheryl
Post a Comment