November 12, 2023

Day 5 - Vermont Vacation - Heading Home

We awoke the morning of Day 5 of our Vermont vacation in Boston and it was time to go home. I was so nervous about how things would unfold because we had never had to do wheelchair access before at an airport.

Luckily, I was able to hobble and to get to and from places, but I wasn't able to be on my foot for very long. We took a shuttle from the hotel to the airport.

Once we arrived at Logan airport, we got my wheelchair and everything went super smooth. Delta could not have been nicer or more accommodating. They were great. (And a huge thank you to Doug for setting it all up for me.)

It hurt to put my heel in a closed-toed shoe, and luckily I had brought along my super comfy sandals just in case. I was rocking the sock/sandal combo that day (my feet were cold) which is something I would never usually do. You do what you have to do...

Walking through the airport (I was being wheeled)...

 
See all the walking I would have had to do? There was just no way I could do it.
 
We arrived at the airport early because we weren't sure how long it would take for us to get things done. We went to the Delta Sky Club to eat some breakfast and relax a bit before our flight...
 
 The Delta attendant left my wheelchair with me in the Sky Club. Bri sat across the room to charge up her ipad. And when we were ready to head to the gate, someone else came back to wheel me there.

Delta made us feel so at ease with the whole wheelchair process. If you ever do need wheelchair access, just request it. I was so hesitant, but I needed the help and they treated me wonderfully.

I did get a nice slice of pie while on the flight home...

Once we got to Atlanta, I limped off the plane and my wheelchair was waiting for me as I got off the plane. They wheeled me all the way to our car. I was very happy to finally get home, but I was nervous about seeing my podiatrist the next day and what he would say.

The good news is that I didn't rupture my Achilles tendon. But, I did tear some fibers in my heel that required me to wear a boot for a few weeks. Ugh.  

Despite my trip and tear accident, we did have a wonderful time in Vermont. We did a lot of fun things, we saw a lot of beautiful scenery and we ate a lot of great food. It was exactly what I wanted in an autumn vacation.

Thanks for reading about our Vermont vacation!

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails