With the year 2007 coming to a close soon and now that Briana is home with me, I have been doing a lot of reflecting on my journey to Briana. And one of the things I have reflected on is my friendships. My dear friend Debra (who I have been friends with since the 4th grade and got to chat on the phone with today) forwarded this e-mail to me the other day. It really touched me."You might be best friends one year,
Pretty good friends the next year,
Don't talk that often the next year,
And don't want to talk at all the year after that.
So, I just wanted to say,
You are special to me
and you have made a difference in my life.
I look up to you, respect you, and truly cherish you."
Through my fertility/adoption/post adoption-new mommy journey, I found out who my friends were. Those people who would stick by me through thick and thin. I also made so many new, wonderful friends. Many of those friendships I believe will last a lifetime. I felt lonely during my fertility struggle (often times limiting my contact with those who had young children because it was just so hard on me), and though I had some amazing friends, most of them had not gone through what I had been going through. When I chose to adopt, my whole life changed. I found people with a common goal and similar experiences - a major support system. I also found blogland! And when I got my referral and finally brought Briana home, I felt so much love - from everyone. It was actually overwhelming. And lo and behold, now I can finally relate to my friends who have children. It has been a wonderful experience.
Unfortunately during my long journey, I have had a few friendships dwindle as well. Due to different circumstances and situations, the friendships just...changed. And though some of these relationships are not completely gone, they are different/strained - not the same or as easy as they used to be. I have learned (and am still learning) that friendship can fade - sometimes you know the reasons why and many times you don't. No matter what, it hurts. A blog buddy of mine said on her blog a while back, "There are people that come into your life for a reason. We may never know why - and I don't think I will question it. I will cherish memories that will forever make me smile and giggle." Perfectly said...
I don't like to lose friendships, but it happens - whether it is my choice or not or whether I understand it or not. It is sad when you share very special moments in your life with someone, and then turn around one day and feel like you are talking to a stranger. My opinion is that friendship should come fairly easily. If you find you are working too hard to keep a friendship going or find you are getting hurt by it, then maybe it isn't meant to be. I am the type of person to dwell and fret (and I mean dwell and fret) on what I could have done differently to keep a friendship from ending. But deep down, I know both sides have to want to make it work. Gosh I have the hardest time letting go. When I make a friend, I want that friendship to last forever. I love my friends. I honestly do. Losing friends sucks. Period.
That is why I liked the e-mail so much. I could really relate to it. So to my friends (whether you are a past friend or present friend) and to everyone who follows my blog, thank you for all of your support, encouragement and kinds words during this entire process. Thank you for touching my life.

12 Kind Words:
I know what you mean. I lost a very good friend a couple of years ago, due to the fact that our lives had gotten so different. First she became a mom, and then I did. It took me a while to accept that not staying friends with someone that brings you down and not up is okay. When you dread getting together with a friend instead of looking forward to it, something has got to change... At least, this is what happened for me.
That is a lesson that I have hard a time learning but have accepted it. Never easy but life is full of change. We always are adapting.
Keep smilin!
Well said. It's hard to lose friendships that in the past meant so much to us but sometimes it just happens.
I too am thankful for bloggy friends. Even though you and I met only briefly I'm glad we did and that now we can stay in touch online.
I hope a whole new world of wonderful friends is opening up to you now that Briana is home.
I hear ya. I used to catch up with a group of girls I used to work with - I made the break this year (after 10 years). I felt I couldn't be me. I couldn't share my joy/disappoints on this adoption journey with them, coz they never "got" why we started it in the first place. The break was 2 years coming - and the relief when I finally emailed them all, was amazing! I am me again! Todd is relieved coz I don't have my 3 monthly bout of questioning who I am, or wondering whether they talk about me when I leave.
I have wonderful friends, that have been with me through thick and thin - and the rest... weren't really true friends to begining with.
What a VERY meaningful post. I am so glad that I call you friend :D When I started on this journey, I was amazed at the number of "new friends" I all of a sudden had. Over time, that circle changed and it is what it is, but what evolved is so much better than I could have ever imagined. I wish that you didn't live so far away (LOL)! I can't tell you what a joy it is when you bring your big happy smile around! oh~ and Briana too! Maybe we should get together, I am so lonely with both Kathy and Lisa gone. Call me :D
Ladybug hugs,
;D
I know exactly what you mean...I had a 17 year friendship, go to nothing one day... don't know why...
I love your post... You are sooo right...
And every person you meet in life is there for some reason ... we may not know why at that moment .. but somewhere in your life it will help you...
The adoption world is a WONDERFUL place... it amazes me every day the woman you meet and learn to know...
Have a WONDERFUL weekend..
You are an amazning lady.. thanks for the uplift...
Hugs to you girly
awesome post. it's so true. i'm not sure if i've commented on your blog before, but we check in every couple of days. in so many ways briana reminds us of our little angel, we travelled about 2 months after you, and she's about 1 month younger than briana. anyway, looks like you guys are doing an awesome job, and if our stronger friendships came from blogland, then 'it is what it is!'
What a lovely post, Lisa. No surprise though coming from someone as lovely as yourself. From the short time I've known you, I can honestly say that anyone who is able to call you a friend, is lucky.
I know what you mean. I've been in the same situation(s), but I've learned not to dwell and move on. Keep smiling!
Micha
LID: 05/24/06
I can understand this completely... I had a best friend for over 10 years or so and when our friendship faded (cause her controlling boyfriend/father of her child) didn't like me cause I was TO close to my friend... he was jealous... losing her as a friend was worse then losing my ex-boyfriend... but I guess is just ran it's course... I have noticed through this whole adoption thing... I have lost friends I made when they got their child from wherever... I know they are just 'fly by night' friends... oh well... it is just meant to be...
Wonderful post...so many things ring true for me as well.
Have a great day! ;)
I know I'm really late on commenting on this post, but I loved it too much not to... I know exactly what you mean in ALL of this post, and I'm just grateful that I've been able to meet you through this journey of ours :)
Post a Comment