June 10, 2009

Sense Of Entitlement

This post is a little bit of a rant I guess. I don't often do this. I overheard a conversation today that really bothered me. I wasn't trying to overhear it, it was very loud and in a public place, so there wasn't a way I couldn't hear it. I don't know why I am surprised by the conversation, so much of the world today feels like they are owed something.

There was a man talking to a woman. It was obvious that did not know each other before today, but the man and woman started up a casual conversation where the man revealed to the woman that his two little girls were adopted by him and his wife through the foster care system. The woman was fascinated by this and told the man that she had always wanted to adopt a child. She had a biological child and was pregnant with her second child (4 months along) but she really wanted to adopt too. She also said she had thought about fostering a child but was kind of scared by it because she might get too attached to a child that she might have to give back. She asked him if he had any contact information on fostering a child.

That part of the conversation was fine.

She then said that she would really like to bring a foster child into her home before her baby was born (remember, two seconds before that she said she wasn't even sure she wanted to be foster parent). The man was surprised a little and informed her that there were a lot of things that needed to be done before she could even be considered for the foster care program. It would probably be 12 months or more before a child could be placed in her home. There are background checks, medicals, classes, etc. Makes sense, right? I mean, most of the people reading this blog completely understand what you have to go through to adopt/foster a child. This woman was floored by this revelation. She complained that she was a pediatric nurse and her husband was a neurosurgeon and they were good people. Then she said, "Do my husband and I both have to take the classes?" The man of course said yes - if you are married then you both need to take the classes. The woman scoffed again and said that her husband didn't have time to take classes. Wow...

For some reason, this woman felt she should be able to just foster a child with no questions asked. She didn't feel that she nor her husband needed to be taught anything about how to parent a foster child. Children coming from broken homes are special. They will most likely need special attention - physically and emotionally. I could feel the ignorance exuding from this woman. And her sense of entitlement absolutely astounded me. She was basically saying, "I want a child so just give me one." There is no doubt that this woman has no business adopting or fostering anybody. If someone is serious about fostering a child, he/she needs to MAKE the time to take the classes. And if you don't have time for the classes, how are you going to have time to raise another kid?

No one handed me Briana. I had to prove that I was worthy to parent a child. I didn't mind proving it. (Now keep in mind, I didn't like having to re-prove it over and over when the wait got so long, but I didn't mind having to prove it.)

In my opinion, she acted like fostering a child was like picking out a purse from the mall. Just pick it out and take it home.

This world is filled with so many people that feel they are owed something. So many people live beyond their means nowadays for instant gratification. When are people going to realize that the reward is so much greater when you have to work for it?

18 Kind Words:

Jennifer said...

I completely agree with you. No one is owed anything - you have to work hard for what you want in life... Some People!!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Oh dear. That would make me angry too. Like foster children don't have enough troubles on their plate than to have someone looking after them who didn't want to bother to take a class to find out what is best FOR THEM. Sigh.

4D said...

Moron...sigh

Keep smilin!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

What a stupid and most ignorant woman... pity there is alot of those through the world... does this woman think that the child is going to come in 'trouble' free...maybe this poor child has some issues they need help with... then to bring this child in before a new born... then my thinking is that all the attention would go to the newborn and that Foster Child - who most likely needs that attention until they feel better in themselves... very stupid... does she realize this isn't a puppy. I don't know if I am stepping on anyone's toes here... or am I ignorant... but just talking now... this is what I am thinking...

Cate said...

Wow! Just wow! By the way, I just looked down at the "word verification" down below here and it literally says "sucklogic."

That about sums it up!

Susie said...

So sorry you had to hear that conversation. People just don't think, and if she was thinking she just doesn't "get it." I too am rather bugged by people who have children without a second thought and then complain about them etc. I often wonder if they could change places with us who have to meet criteria and be proven if there children would mean more to them?

sandr said...

I could not agree with you more. I cannot stand when people act like they are entitled to stuff. It drives me carzy...

Anonymous said...

Ugh - some things you would rather have missed hearing, huh? Sometimes, when folks ask me if I got to pick Mary Lin out - I answer that God picked her out for me. I guess they picture this big room of perfect babies that you get to shop around for. It just bugs me. Hugs to you! See ya Friday! Amy

Sherri said...

I completely agree with you 100% people...where do they come from? And the word verification" Cate had...."sucklogic."...that sums it up.

Abby's Mom said...

Very well said!

Lindsay said...

With you 100%. And if her husband is too busy to take some classes, I'm left wondering how he will manage to fit his own newborn into his busy schedule. Seems she thought because they are educated people they have nothing more to learn! Astounding.

Mya said...

Thumbs up! I couldn't agree more! well said!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Oh. My. Lands. 3D said it best. What a moron.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I whole heartedly agree with everything you just said.. I think I would have had a hard time restraining myself from putting in my own 2 cents if I overheard that conversation!

Lisa

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Yes some people are very ignorent.
Even if she did not know about the procedure of things she could have said to the guy, "ok thanks very much for telling me".
Not just go on about the fact that she did not have the time and she felt it was her right to just get a child...crikey!

Robin said...

I'm sure she just thought that because they could afford to take in a child.. she should be given one~ no questions asked. I mean.. don't we all know that money bring the most happiness to children and adults alike.. NOT>!! :0( Her comment alone indicates she needs to take some classes

Donna said...

It's true...a lot of people don't understand that sometimes you have to sacrifice a little before things happen.

Liene said...

Ugh!!!!

It would take every ounce of my being to sit on my hands and keep my mouth shut had I overheard a conversation like that.

I feel sorry for the biological kids she has because it's likely that she will instill those exact same beliefs on them - money can buy you anything!

Related Posts with Thumbnails