December 11, 2008

Her Comprehension


It is amazing how much Briana knows and understands. Kids really are like little sponges. I love to watch her mimick the things that Doug and I do in our daily lives. This morning, she was playing with the little dolls that came with her dollhouse. She set them all up for a meal. She called me over several times to come see what she was doing because she was so proud of herself.

I had a big "Ah Ha!" moment with Briana on Tuesday. Bri and I met Angela and Laney and Amy and Mary over at the library for storytime - like we do almost every Tuesday. For some reason, when storytime started, Briana felt the need to keep circling the room rather than pay attention to Miss April. Storytime always starts with singing a few songs, then we listen to a couple of stories, then sing some more songs and finally watch a short film. I told Briana more than once to stop circling the room. She heard me but didn't want to listen. By the third song, I had enough. I took her out of the room and brought her to the ladies room right across the hall. I stood her against the wall and stepped back to the middle of the bathroom. I pointed my finger and firmly told her that we would be going home if she didn't behave. And I totally meant it. She bowed her head and started to scooch forward toward me. I told her no and to stay where she was. But, she kept shuffling until she reached my legs. She hugged them and said "Sorry mama." It was like a light went off. She really got was I was telling her. I think I heard angels singing. :) I picked her up, hugged her and we went back into storytime.

As we entered, Miss April had already started reading a story. Briana went and sat on Angela's lap quietly. When the songs started again, she stood up and participated. She did the freeze dance with a smile on her face! We watched the film, did our craft and then we all went to lunch. Briana did a complete 180 that morning. It was amazing.

She is growing up. She is still two, and there are still times that she does not listen. But I'll savor those times that she does. ;)

And because Briana really liked the short film at storytime on Tuesday, here it is..."Chicken Soup with Rice". (If you grew up in the 70's, you may remember it.)

13 Kind Words:

Ms. Fricknfrack said...

Ah, two sounds like such an awesome age! I can't wait to hear angels sing. I should say, I hope Moe gets it and I'll hear angels sing.

Donna said...

Briana sounds like such a smart little girl!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Way to go Bri!! They really do understand....it amazes me!! What a smart cookie!!

Lisa

Kim said...

It is amazing how much they learn when they are little..
But I would have to say that she sure is growing up..
Seems like yesterday when I was watching you in China..
HUGS..
Have a Great Weekend...

Angela and Jay said...

You've got to love those "Ah Ha!" moments!

Like how she set up her dolls to eat. Very cute!

Anonymous said...

I notice the mommy doll has her feet up on the table...wonder what we could all infer from that?!

(0:

Christie said...

Seriously - could she be any cuter with her little play setup? How do you not squish her and eat her up all day long? I wouldn't get anything done - of course, having Quint-a-licious, I don't get much done anyway.

Ha!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I'm struggling with not feeling all jealous. I love my Tongginator, but - at that age - she totally would have said "So? Wanna go home." Totally. Not. Kidding. :) I'm so glad she's four now. LOL.

RamblingMother said...

I don't remember this but yea! on Bri's comprehension. Cute pics too.

Tracy said...

Briana is very smart for sure! It always melts my heart when Charlotte says she is sorry and then behaves. So far, twos have ben easy for us - but we are only two months into them. Briana seeting up her dolls to eat is so cute - she is so smart and creative!

kitchu said...

wow, i am so proud of her! she's smart and had her "listening" ears on as my nephew likes to say!

Steffie B. said...

Little sponges is right....what a little smarty pants you have....

C's Mom said...

Any day mama hears the angels singing s a very good day :0)

Related Posts with Thumbnails