On Feb 1, Briana got into my car after school and was so freaking excited. She said "Mama, guess what?!! I got the character award in my class for January - self-discipline!"
Each month, a student that exhibits the character word of the month from each class is chosen by his/her teacher and given a Cub Character Award.
I was feeling a bit sad for Bri because the last time she received a character award, she was in 1st grade (for punctuality)...
It had definitely been a while. I honestly wasn't sure if she would ever receive another character award. So happy she did!
I was so thrilled for Bri. I was beaming with pride. But at the same time, I was kind of laughing inside when she told me the news.
Since
Briana has returned back to school after Christmas break, at least when she is at
home, she hasn't been all that self-motivated/disciplined at all. She and I have had several
battles over doing homework, getting reports done in a timely matter and staying on task.
The
big information sign that sits in front of Bri's elementary school (which flashes all
sorts of important updates and announcements) stated last month that the character
word for January was "self-discipline." When Doug, Bri and I went to Science Night a few weeks ago, Doug saw what the sign said. Doug said to Briana "See Briana, that
sign says the character word of the month is self-discipline. There is no way that you'll get that award because you haven't been very disciplined lately." I
of course completely agreed with him.
Heh, heh. She proved us both very, very wrong.
Now I know for sure that
my strong-willed, slightly unmotivated and stubborn at times daughter is an absolute angel at school.
Her teachers always gush about how well-behaved she is and how she is
always on task. She never gets in trouble. I think she got in trouble one time for doing something she wasn't supposed to and broke down crying about it. So, I am quite sure that it is when she gets home that she falls apart on me. I guess she is so self-disciplined in all the other aspects of her life, home is where she can't hold it together sometimes.
As frustrated as I get with her at home, at least I know when she walks out of my house, she does what she is supposed to do. And that makes me happy. She obviously impressed her teacher, so that makes me extremely proud.
And for getting her award, she also got a pencil and some "cub cash"...
The school has this picture posed in lobby hallway with the award winners names listed on it...
So, my kid is self-disciplined. Who knew? LOL! Just kidding of course.
I'm very, very proud. Bri is a great kid and now she has a second certificate to prove it. ;)
I'm very, very proud. Bri is a great kid and now she has a second certificate to prove it. ;)




2 Kind Words:
Good Job!!
fantastic job and what a great win!!
Ed's wife Jen also a teacher refuses to give out those awards. LOL she says it isn't fair for the kids that don't get picked over and over and so many times teachers just pick favourites. She plain old refuses.
Post a Comment