August 13, 2018

Blueberry Pickin' - Year 11!

 Once again, Bri and I managed to make it to our local blueberry farm over summer break. From experience, I've learned it's really best to hit the farm on the very first day it opens. The farm is getting so popular, the berries pretty much get picked over the first day and it's almost not worth going after that. We were about to head out on our week long summer vacation on a Sunday, and I read the patch was going to open the day before we were leaving. Yes! We would get to go again this year! And with opening day being on a Saturday, Doug was able to join us this year. He had never been before!

Here are links to all of our previous years of picking...


We arrived in the morning when the farm was first opening and cars were already pouring in (I think opening on a Saturday made it even extra crowded). We were happy we got there super early...

Sun coming up...

Excited to pick berries...

Yay! Dad joined us!!!

B loved that she was able to get on Doug's shoulders like when we go apple picking. Pretty sure this will be the last year this happens - LOL! She's growing quickly...



My beauty picking blueberries...





We did very well and picked a lot of berries...

Waiting in line to pay...


Taking a little rest before heading out (it was getting warm and it was kind of muggy)...




When we were finished and leaving the farm, I was the one driving the car. I starting to pull out of the grass/rock parking lot (a parking lot worker was guiding me out of the spot), and a father let his young child (maybe 3 or 4 years old) run ahead of him and dart behind my car (I think the kid was running to his mom who was standing by the entrance). Scared me (and Doug) to death. It shook the kid and parents up too. Thank goodness I was pulling out so slowly, I was constantly checking my mirrors and that I have a back up camera and alarms in my car. I was just inches from hitting him. There were cars pulling out everywhere. Why the dad wasn't holding the kid's hand in a busy parking area is beyond me. I am so grateful the situation ended the best way possible. So scary though.

On a lighter note, look at the beautiful berries we got. I froze some and I brought the rest on our vacation to munch on...

I hope that we make it to the farm again next year. If the first day opens on a day that we can't make it, I'm not sure I'll make the drive over there. I'm very happy we've had 11 blueberry picking years!

When blueberry season starts, that means the 4th of July is right around the corner. Before we headed out on our vacation, we "July 4th'd" up our house...


We headed out on our week long vacation to Jekyll island on July 1st. I will blog all about our trip in my next few posts.

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails