January 9, 2014

The Bitter Cold And An Extended Holiday Break

After our fun night at the S family's house on New Year's Eve, I unfortunately came down with some sort of sinus thing. I got a bit of a stuffy nose, but by Friday afternoon, my left ear blocked up. By Saturday, my ear was blocked and aching a little. I totally thought I was coming down with an ear infection.

Doug, Bri and I last Friday hit the 'Toys R Us', so Bri could use some Christmas money to buy a couple of new toys. (To be honest, I was pretty disappointed in Toys R Us. You think they have a huge selection of stuff - but they really don't. I'd rather shop on Amazon.) Bri did find a few things she liked and as we were driving home, that is when my ear felt funny. I figured I would need to visit urgent care once again, but Sunday it cleared up. Thank goodness. I seriously didn't want to do one more doctor visit.

Doug, Bri and I hosted Khalid and Kira for dinner on Saturday night at my house. Sunday afternoon, ML came over to play with Briana for a few hours and then we had dinner with the B family. I figured that was a perfect ending to a two week holiday break.

Until the Polar Vortex. Yes, the bitter cold that dipped way down into the Eastern U.S. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get snow (just a few flurries), but we got some cold temps ~ the coldest I have felt here in many years...

School was cancelled on Monday and Tuesday. The reason being that though Georgians do prepare for cold weather, we don't prepare for single digit temps and below zero wind chills.

Tuesday morning, it was 6 degrees Fahrenheit. That is crazy cold for Georgia. The school system didn't want kids in light coats standing at bus stops. So, we got two more days off.

And I love my kid, but that was two more days of entertaining Briana.

I looked outside on Monday and there was a little flurry action going on but that was it...

When stuck inside, bake...


Briana did not get out of her jammies all day that day.

Asia that day threw up several times again. Doug ran to the vet that evening to get her more meds. She couldn't keep anything down.

Tuesday morning, he brought her to the vet for an anti-nausea shot and a B12 shot. She still didn't feel well on Tuesday (or Wed for that matter), but she seems a bit better today.

And Tuesday morning the temps were brutally cold. I still planned a play date for Bri though. She needed some kid interaction. We met J, E and J at Chick Fil A for lunch and then I brought E back home with us so the girls could play for a few hours...

Even though Bri had played with E for hours, she still couldn't get to sleep that night. Briana is such good girl - she never gets out of bed or complains that she cannot sleep. She just lies in bed trying to sleep. I always go in her room before I go to sleep and check on her to see if she is sleeping. That night, she just couldn't get to sleep. I was stressing because not only was she heading back to school after a two and a half week break, it was her first day of Venture (gifted program). She finally drifted off at 10PM after I sat with her and stroked her hair.

Bri did head back to school finally and did go to Venture ~ but that is a whole other post. :)

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails