May 6, 2011

My Parenting "Fails"

(Here is Miss B in her new shirt from Justice. She is so cute. Love the "ears" on her hat.)

Last night, I cleaned all the dishes after dinner and booked it upstairs so I wouldn't miss any American Idol (I'm a bit obsessed with the show). I grabbed my cell so I could text with my friend Julie about the show (like we do every week during Idol). Bri didn't have school the next day, so I decided to let her stay up a little later than usual and she asked to watch a Care Bear movie. When I left the kitchen, I didn't realize that I had not turned on the under counter lights. Bri got thirsty about a half an hour after I went upstairs and wanted a drink, but she didn't want to go in the kitchen because it was dark. I heard her crying downstairs by herself, so I ran down to see what was the matter. Through her cries, she said she was very thirsty and needed a drink. She was scared of the dark kitchen but she didn't want to bother me because she knows how much I love my show. Ugh. I felt horrible. What a super sweet girl I have. I told her that she could always come to me with a problem, and I told her how sorry I was that she got so sad and I promised not to ever forget to turn those lights on at night again.

As I was drying her off after her shower that night, she said "Mama, do you remember a while back when I called for you when I was in the tub, you didn't hear me and I cried?" (I had literally walked out of the bathroom for a few minutes that particular night to get something out of her room and I didn't hear her call for me - sigh. But she still remembers it). I asked her if she was going to start listing all the things that I have done wrong as a mommy. So she decided to dig the knife in deeper and added, "Do you remember that day when you forgot to pack my lunch for school?" I quickly reminded her it was her snack that I forgot and not her lunch. And then we both started laughing. I asked her if she could think of a lot of bad things that I have done as a mommy and she said she could only think of those two bad things. Thank goodness she didn't list any more. It really humbles you when your kid starts listing your parenting "fails."

And it's hard when you have a kid that is too smart for her own good.

3 Kind Words:

Two Kayaks said...

Oh dear. I think I shall count my blessings that Chick and Pea can't yet formulate the vocabulary to tell me all the ways I fail them. Though, they do tell me by crying. :/
That Bri is a sweetheart!!

Debbie said...

Lisa,,,didnt know whether to laugh or cry at your post! She knows you too, too well! Dx

Lisa~~ said...

I had to laugh because Maisie has done similar to me. They keep us on our toes...and best behavior. Thanks for the b-day wishes, looking forward to our play date...I mean the girls play date ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails