May 24, 2016

The Soccer Tournament - Runners Up!

I am so, so, so proud of Team Golden Eagles. They played like true champs during their May 14/15 tournament. They played clean, fair and with dignity. When you play honorably, you are greatly respected.

After the girls clinched the NW division, they still needed to practice up for the tournament...



Here is one of their drills...



The weather on day 1 of our tournament was absolutely beautiful. We had an 8AM game and a 10AM game scheduled. We were playing two teams from two different Ys.

The Golden Eagles started in our blue jerseys. The first team they played they beat pretty nicely. GE won 5-1. Both teams played clean and fair...



Bri was a little off that first game though. She kept picking at her fingers and looking nervous, which isn't like her. Everyone was noticing that Bri wasn't herself. We didn't find out until we got home that day that she was super anxious. Even though we told B that the tournament was really just icing on the cake of the season, it still got into her head a bit.

For the second game, the girls changed into their yellow jerseys and tried to keep busy until their next game...

Gramma and Papa showed up for that game as well as friends Ella and Laura. With the extra support, Bri was in a better frame of mind for the second game.

And thank goodness she was because the next team played a bit ugly.

A number of fouls were called on the other team and a few tears were shed by our girls. But our girls played super hard despite dirty play and won 1-0 against the opposing team...




Ella walking across the field to see Bri...

Here I am congratulating Bri on winning the game...

Tired and hot from playing two games (the sun was beating down a bit even though it was cool outside)...

My mom snapped this pic below. You can just see how much our coach loves the girls...

Winning those two games got the girls into the semi-finals the next day.

The next day, the GE were scheduled for a 12PM game in yellow jerseys. The GEs were playing the biggest competition from the NW league - the Ravens. They are stiff competition, but we all really respect the Ravens. They are tough and talented and they play clean...


Team Golden Eagles beat the Ravens 2-0.

The girls were so excited that they won the semi-final game. They were all smiles as they snacked and waited for the final game...


The girls changed into their blue jerseys. They were set to play a team from another Y in the final. Once we got to the field, we realized the GEs played these girls in the fall tournament ~ they lost back then but put up a good fight.

The girls lost their smiles once they started playing the final team.

This was my FB post/status for the final game ~

"First, let me say how PROUD I am of Team Golden Eagles. The girls played amazing. They played clean and fair. They worked their tails off today! They did end up losing their final game today (0-4), so they ended up in 2nd place. Before we went to the final, we were given a warning by a parent from a team that already played the team we were about to face in the final. He said they played excessively rough. As soon as the final started, we saw the other team starting to get ugly - and the Y ref did nothing about it. I'm not sure how a girl purposely elbowing one of our players in the face didn't get pulled from the game, but things like that that happened over and over again without any real penalty. Several of our girls ended up crying due to unnecessary roughness (including Bri), but they sucked it up and kept going. Of course it isn't fun to lose, but losing to a team that exhibits that kind of behavior and doesn't feel badly about it makes the loss a bit more bitter. Our girls got pretty beat up today, but they kept their composure. I told them to keep their heads held high - it's so much better to lose clean than to win dirty. Go Golden Eagles!!"

It was a tough game to watch. I'm not going to lie. Those opposing girls were willing to do anything to win that game, and I mean anything. I don't remember them being this ugly in the previous tournament.

Just look at the girl in the middle - 'nuff said...

Ella, our main point scorer, was targeted several times and made to cry. Bri was targeted too. I was so tempted to pull Bri from the game. I was afraid she was going to get hurt. We also only had 1 sub that afternoon (the opposing team had 4), but the girls played on, as hard as they could. I was so, so, so proud of all of them.

Bri played beautifully on Sunday - even under all that stress - she got her mojo back.

Our girls limped off the field with a 0-4 loss and received a finalist medal...


The girls were definitely disappointed with the way things went down, but they held their heads high because they played with integrity.

I can't say either way if we would have won or lost without violent play. The other team was bullish with big kickers, but I believe our girls were technically and skillfully better. We could definitely still have lost if the whole game was played fair, but we'll never know that for sure because it didn't happen.

Now, I admit ~ I've bellyached a bit to the "fairness" of tournaments ~ the number of subs team have, experience, the amount of time between games, etc. Doug has to remind me that things aren't always going to be "fair." All that little stuff I complained about in the past was nothing in comparison to what happened that Sunday. All that mundane stuff is just so silly when you are concerned for your child's safety. I didn't even care if the Golden Eagles didn't win that afternoon ~ I just wanted all our girls to come off that field injury-free. I honestly felt a little sick though watching the opposing team players, parents and coaches all patting themselves on the back and walking away with 1st after playing such an ugly game. But in the end, the other team walked away not being respected by anyone even though they won and our girls walked away with their dignity and a second place medal. I rather have the latter.

 After 4 very intense games (and 3 birthday parties), Bri was ready for bed that Sunday evening.

Smile on her face. She is such a rock star.

Some things that happened in the tournament have been reported to the Y and I hope they will be addressed and fixed by the next tournament.

Team Golden Eagles were all newbies to U10 soccer this year. They ended up beating teams that had players that were already in their second year of playing U10. The talent of these girls is amazing to watch. They really are academy caliber, but they prefer to stay rec and enjoy playing with each other. They are a really tight team. We are sadly losing two of our players because they have to move up to U12 due to their age, and we are going to miss them terribly.

Bri has a one week soccer camp this summer and will get to see a few of her teammates then. We are going to miss the girls this summer. Can't wait for Bri to get started back up in the fall.

GO GOLDEN EAGLES!!!

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails