Today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day. Six years ago in early October, Doug and I found out I was pregnant with our first child. 10 weeks into the pregnancy, I miscarried.I became pregnant with the aid of a fertility drug (after trying for a year on our own). My progesterone levels were monitored each month by my OB/GYN while I was taking the drug. When I thought I might be pregnant, I took several home pregnancy tests (about 5 or 6, seriously) - all positive. When I called my OB/GYN office to tell them, my doctor's main nurse told me that my progesterone levels were so low that there was no way that I could be pregnant. After pleading with her to take a blood test to find out for sure, she finally agreed. I cried the whole way over to their office to get my blood drawn. She made me feel like I was crazy. It was very tramatic.
The next day, a different nurse called me and told me I was pregnant. I never heard from the original mean nurse that had told me there was no way, so I called her the day after I found out. She answered the phone with such an attitude. Like, why was I bothering her. I informed her that I was indeed pregnant. I was shocked that she had not been told. Her attitude completely changed and she said happily "congratulations!" I asked her with my progesterone being so low, what were my chances of staying pregnant. She said I had a 50/50 chance. It was quite a blow. I decided not to tell anyone I was pregnant except for immediate family because I didn't know what would happen.
At six weeks, I had an ultrasound. Everything looked very good. There was a strong heartbeat. I had already been getting blood drawn every couple days to check to make sure my hCG levels were doubling - and they were. I had a checkup a week after that and the doctor seemed really pleased. I started feeling more confident, so Doug and I started telling people. I really wished we hadn't.
At ten weeks I started cramping. I went to the doctor and had an ultrasound done. Doug and I were told that there was no longer a heartbeat. We lost the baby. I felt like someone had literally ripped my heart out. How was I going to tell my family? My friends? I don't think I have ever felt so empty in my life. It was a few days before Thanksgiving.
Because I found out there was no heartbeat on a Friday around lunchtime, I was told that I couldn't have a D & C scheduled until Monday and I could possibly miscarry on my own over the weekend. Unfortunately, I had no idea what I was in store for. They didn't give me the slightest idea of how painful it was going to be. I miscarried at home the next day.
I fell into a deep depression after that. Looking back, I probably should have seeked some psychological help, but I really thought I could handle it on my own. Obviously, I changed practices and found a doctor I really loved. In fact, I still go to him. They told me to try the fertility drugs again for a few months. So I did several rounds with no luck. Then they sent me to a specialist. After two more years, 4 failed IUI's and 1 failed IVF, Doug and I decided to adopt to grow our family. I used to get mad at myself for not pursuing adoption sooner and for pushing so hard for a biological child. The doctors kept telling me, "You're young and you've been pregnant before so keep trying" - so I did. I think the pregnancy kept giving me that false sense of hope.
I don't get mad at myself anymore for trying so long. Now I know that the timing was the way it was supposed to be. Perfect timing. If I had stopped trying any sooner or kept trying any longer, I wouldn't have my precious, beautiful Briana. Things happened the way they were supposed to.
The pain has definitely faded, but it still lingers. I still feel sadness some days. I still think about our loss. Briana definitely has eased so much of the sadness. A girlfriend of mine was pregnant at the same time I was and her daughter is 5 now. Every once in a while, I wonder what it would have been like to have a five year old child today.
So today, we will pay tribute to and remember the baby we lost in November 2002 by lighting a candle. Our little guardian angel. And then I will give Briana and Doug a big hug and a kiss. They are truly my blessings.

35 Kind Words:
Oh Lisa....I am so sorry that you had to endure the pain of miscarriage, I can only imagine what you went through at that time in your life.
I am thankful that you were led t adoption, and you are right....the timing was PERFECT!
You are blessed beyond belief with that beautiful baby girl!
Hugs to you my friend,
Lisa
I will join you and others by lighting a candle at 7pm -"Remembering Our Babies".
Hugs,
Micha
7 pm it's a date.
Thank you for sharing. You constantly bring tears to my eys when you share your love for your beautiful daughter. Today I cry because I know your pain. Miscarriage is so awful, and no one should ever have to face that.
(((((Lisa)))))
Lisa,
Having gone through several miscarriages myself I have those very same feelings. My dear friend just lost her baby last week due to Turner's syndrome at 15 wks. Trying to comfort her brought it all back. I too think I should have seeked the help of a psychologist. My friend has an appointment Thursday. Thank you, I had no idea there was such an awareness.
Lisa,
Thank you so much for posting this - I had no idea that there was a day like this. We had four miscarriages all between 10 and 12 weeks and each time I thought this one will make it. I am so grateful for I &L and now looking back on our loss, it make me deeply appreciate each one of my babies.
I know what we'll be doing at 7 p.m. tonight.
Ladybug hugs,
;D
Heartwrenching! I am so sorry that you had to go through something so painful~ but (and that is a very big but) I am SO thankful how your story turned out and the blessing that was ultimately given to you!
Big hugs for you today for walking down this painful memory lane. Thank you so much for sharing
You are so right -- focus on the blessings! SO much!!
I'm so sorry you went through this, Lisa. Thank you for posting this and bringing attention to the awareness day.
stephanie
www.mubarek.wordpress.com
I am deeply sorry for your losses, thank you for sharing this personal story. Garrett was a very easy pregnancy for me. The next one I lost at 12 weeks. After I got pregnant with Cole, the doctors told me he would not live, my progesterone levels did not support a healthy pregnancy. I injected myself daily with progesterone and prayed every day that his heart would beat one more day. With each test taken, the doctors were amazed, because my levels were never good. He was determined I guess....and still is.
Blessing grow from pain.
I am deeply sorry for your losses, thank you for sharing this personal story. Garrett was a very easy pregnancy for me. The next one I lost at 12 weeks. After I got pregnant with Cole, the doctors told me he would not live, my progesterone levels did not support a healthy pregnancy. I injected myself daily with progesterone and prayed every day that his heart would beat one more day. With each test taken, the doctors were amazed, because my levels were never good. He was determined I guess....and still is.
Blessing grow from pain.
That made me cry! I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a baby is....well, one of the hardest things on this earth. Let's never forget those beautiful little souls.
you made me cry. i am so sorry for your loss.
you are so right to focus on the blessings - i can't believe how much briana has grown in the past year!
My heart is with you on the losses you have suffered...and in celebration of the joys your life now brings you.
I've never experienced this myself. But I've lived it with my sister. In spite of the beautiful, healthy children she has now... there were also several losses in between them.
I'm sorry for your loss and for my sister's too. It's actually 7pm right now... I'm thinking of you both.
thank you for visiting my blog...I'm glad I came over for this particular post.
We lost our 7th pregnancy last month...we have two beutiful children at home(China), and it had been four years since our last loss, so it came as quite the surprise to even be pregnant. The loss was tough, but since I'd had wonderful support through the fertility/loss years I knew we would get through it. The ones prior to our adoption were horrific, many ending due to an undiagnosed septum(later removed) and hurried RE's that didnt give a hoot about our situation(so I get you on the mean nurse thing)
The days fade for me now, due dates, loss dates(my coping mechanism)...but we will always remember them.
knowing that a candle burns for all the little ones that didnt make it into their mothers arms, but will always be in our hearts
I am sorry for your loss, Lisa. I didn't realize you had suffered a miscarriage. My thoughts are with you and all the other women living with this grief.
Lisa, I am so sorry for your pain and loss and so happy for your blessings of Bri and your entire family.
Lisa I am sooo sorry..
I can't even imagine..
I know that you are a wonderful mom...
Hugs to you my friend..
I too am very sorry. I lost a child four years ago. I never told anyone(except my husband), because the same day I found out I was pregnant I found out I had lost the baby. It still seems very surreal. I've had som awful nurses over the course of our infertility journey too.
I will light a candle tonight for all of the women who have lost babies.
I am so sorry for your loss... but celebrating with you the joy you now have!
I am so very sorry for your loss. This day is a special one for us as well. We lost twin boys 4 1/2 years ago when I was 21 weeks pregnant. Healthy pregnancy, no problems and then my water broke that Saturday afternoon around 145...
Thank you for sharing your story...
Jen S.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your strength is amazing.
Thank goodness you were lead to your adorable little Briana. She certainly is a blessing!
Smiles! :o)
Nikki
I too share your sorrow and prayed for you this day!!!
Blessings,
Sharon
What a blessing that you have your beautiful daughter...but, I know that fact does not erase the pain of losing your first child.
Grant and I also went through IVF and lost our first little ones. What a blessing, though, that God gives us joy in our sorrow...brings such precious, beautiful children to our empty arms...children who are OWN, though they came to us in a different way and different time than we had originally anticipated.
When I start to feel bad about how long I've waited and wonder about how much longer it will be I just have to look around and know that others have been through the same and more as I have. I am in a way blessed as I knew as a young adult I would never have children. I haven't had to endure the tragic things that others have had to. I am so sorry for your loss and I honestly have no way to comprehend how hard it was. It's hard in life to look back and say I would never wish to do that again because of the blessings we have been led to now because of what we went through in our past.
Let me just say that I think you and women who suffer all the pains of miscarriage, IVF and all the infertility stuff are heroes to continue on your path. You are an awesome woman...(and thanks for taking the time to comment on stuff like my little broken stove) when you are so busy with your own life.
I recently found your blog and just wanted to say how sorry I am for your losses. We have had 3; two were around 10 weeks and one baby boy we lost to anecephaly at 4 months. I know without these losses we would not have our little princess home with; however some days are just hard.
Again, I am so sorry for what you have been through ~ I have read through the comments and it does help to know we are not alone, even though we may feel like we are...
I am so very sorry for all you went through, Lisa. I have never been pregnant, so I can only imagine that loss and how hard that must have been for you and Doug :( You are right, though - you had to go through all of that to get your beautiful Briana. I am a firm believer in that.
Hugs,
Tracy
This post had me in tears. I am sorry for all you had to go through. And so happy that you appreciate your many blessings.
:)
Amie
It is not something one ever gets over. We walk through life carrying our children with us and knowing that we held them inside of us even if only for a short time. I know your feelings...they are my own.
Don't know what else to tell ya but hugs to ya...
I am sorry too my bloggy friend. I have no experience in that, so i have no words of inspiration.
However, I am so happy you are able to fulfill your dreams of becoming a Mom...it truly is a miracle the way we've done it!
Oh Lisa, I am so very sorry for you loss. Thanks for sharing your story and for letting us know about this day. Saying a prayer.
I join you in the unfortunate circumstances of been there done that as well. Thanks for sharing such an intimate post. Our girls are truly blessings from God.
So sorry for your loss. Your vulnerability is appreciated. So glad that Briana has brightened your world.
I am so sorry for your loss. It is nice to keep in rememberance Briana's now older sibling!! She will learn all about her family and how important she is to it. you guys are so lucky to have had both children even though one is not with you now. You haven't lost that child. God knows and sees your child, holding the child until you come. {{hugs}} to you all.
Post a Comment