May 11, 2020

8 Weeks Behind Us

Well, we made it through yet another week of the Covid-19 pandemic. Some days are easier than others, but we are making it!

Today is officially the first day of summer break if you don't count the weekend. Bri was super happy to sleep in today (she wanted to keep with a schedule during digital learning, so she didn't sleep in those days). 

Last Wednesday, we had sustained winds all day (which is unusual for Georgia) and it was beautiful. I told Bri we were going to take a walk in the afternoon.

My roses are still blooming (yay!)...


You can see how windy it was...


The sky actually started to look a bit funny as we walked (black clouds), so we came in and sat on the upstairs back porch.

It started to rain as soon as we came in. Not for long, but I'm glad I didn't get rained on!


Bri and I ended up talking and chatting for about 90 minutes about everything and anything. It was so nice to have some mother/daughter bonding time.

Here she is leaning up against me...

As I mentioned in my last post, Bri finished up her schooling on Friday...

 As nervous as I am as to how we are going to spend our time this summer, I am kind of relieved at the same time that school is done. Digital learning is pretty tiring. And it was kind of weird and scary at first, but once everyone got the hang of it, it worked out - at least for us it did. Now we have a nice break before we have to think about high school ahead. This is one of those rare times that I am grateful that Bri started school on August 1st (I am not a big fan of going so early). She actually got in a lot of school time before all of this happened. I started to think about everything she got to do before she started digital learning on March 16: she got chosen as a reading champion, she read to kindergarteners at the elementary school twice a week for 9 weeks for her "pack time" class, she read to the dogs at Mostly Mutts, she received some extra "points" for helping out a special needs student during Home Ec class, she took a field trip to the high school, she attended her high school orientation and she learned so much from her terrific 8th grade teachers. So instead of focusing on some of the 8th grade milestones she missed, I am going to try to think about all the good things that she was able to experience her 8th grade year.

On Saturday, Bri's friend Kira turned 10 years old. Her parents set up a "drive-by" birthday party for her.

They asked Doug, Bri and me if we would stay a little while longer and spend some "social distancing" time with them for Kira's birthday (Bri made a sign for her)...

They have a great big deck and backyard, so we hung out, watched Kira blow out her birthday candles and spent some time catching up from a distance...


Other than seeing my parents the weekend before last, this was the first "social" outing we have had in a long time. It was really nice.

 Then Sunday was Mother's Day. My request was a very "low-key" day.

Briana's card and gift to me (she drew both)...

Doug made me pancakes in the morning and gave me this hilarious cookbook (since I am always trying to figure out what to cook)...

I know a lot of you will be shocked, but I do have a bit of a potty mouth at times. Especially when I get angry. I can really dish it out when you rub me the wrong way - LOL! Luckily, my family loves me anyway - heh.

And then for dinner, my amazing husband served me lobster rolls that he had delivered from Portland, Maine (so delicious!!!)...

We watched the Disney singalong in the evening...

I love me some Idina Menzel and Ben Platt (this made me so happy!)...

And Bri and I had some fun with Snapchat...

I didn't do much of anything much during the day (except call my mom and talk with her for over an hour!) and that is exactly how I wanted it. Doug and Bri treated me really special and I am one lucky lady.

Ok - it's time for my weekly "this is my two cents" update again I guess. Feel free to read or don't. I like to give you the choice. Totally up to you.

 
I have to admit - I am still emotionally and mentally wiped out. I am a "highly sensitive person" (possibly even an empath?). I soak everything in to the point that it overwhelms me. It can be a positive thing at times, but it can also a curse.

Social media is a double edge sword right now. It is a way to connect with other people, but it seems everyone has lost their minds at the same time. This is why I come over here to my blog to express myself because this is my safe space where I don't have to debate stuff with people.

I am going to have to severely limit my time looking at FB and watching/reading news on TV and the internet. It's not good for my mental health - anyone's mental health for that matter.

The world has been going a bit nuts for a while, but this past week seemed especially nuts for some reason - at least that is how I perceived it. This is what I discovered...

Seriously - that "Pl@ndemic" video came out and the world went completely haywire. I don't really have much to say about the matter. The whole thing is complete bunk in my personal opinion. I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories or people who are not credible.

And I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how some Americans can view a "global pandemic" as a "national conspiracy." This virus is very real and countries all over the world are doing the exact things we are doing to protect themselves - social distancing, wearing masks, staying at home and introducing phases to reopen their economies. The more I try to understand it, the more exhausted I get, so I am going to stop trying.

As for what is going on in Georgia, this is the most recent chart that I follow regarding new virus cases recorded in GA...

Doesn't really look like a downward trend does it? And the stay at home order was lifted a little over a week ago. The good news - we are at the lowest number of hospitalizations in Georgia since this all started. But now that people are moving around more and not really social distancing or wearing masks, we will have to see what happens.

This is my take on it...

 Doug and I are still taking this super slow. We may start to consider going to some doctor's appointments in the next few weeks, but eating inside of a restaurant (we do get takeout and delivery), going recreational shopping or hanging out in any type of group setting that lacks social distancing or masks will take much, much longer for us. How long? Not quite sure yet.

I have to go pick up Briana's locker contents next week. Only 10 parents are allowed in the school building at a time to retrieve their kids' belongings (no students allowed) and we have to wear masks.

I do wish more people would wear masks in enclosed spaces where people cannot social distance properly. Surprisingly, Kemp has even asked people to wear masks...


Very few people are doing it here though - unless they are working or volunteering.

This is my take on it. These are unprecedented times. I don't see it as anyone forcing me to do anything. I feel it is my civic responsibility to keep others safe, so I'm ok with wearing a mask. Yes it's not super comfortable, but it is a short term inconvenience to deal with until we learn more about an easily spread, potentially fatal virus that we just don't know a lot about yet. We are quickly learning more about it every single day. And private companies have every right to tell people to wear a mask on their private property (the whole Costco ordeal) - it's just like "no shirt, no shoes, no service." If you don't like it, then don't shop there. I seriously don't understand what the big deal is though. 

Aren't we all supposed to be in this together?
Anyway, I think that is all my thoughts on this for now. I'm sure I will have more next week. The takeaway is that Doug and I are just going to continue our "be very cautious," "gather more info," and "wait and see" attitude on this...

I hope all the moms who read my blog had an amazing Mother's Day. I also know it is a tough day for some...


I better get going now. Hope everyone has a great week! I'll be back soon!

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails