A little over a year ago, I blogged about my sadness regarding the wildfire that decimated the town of Lahaina in Maui, Hawaii. Doug, Bri and I had visited the town of Lahaina in 2019 and absolutely loved it.
And now, I am feeling compelled to write again about another location that Doug, Bri and I visited (and loved) back in 2017 - Asheville, NC. The town of Asheville and the surrounding areas have been completely destroyed by devastating floods due to Hurricane Helene.
Hurricane Helene devastated so many places in its path...
Living in the northern suburbs of Atlanta and having a daughter living in midtown Atlanta for school, I was terrified of Helene heading my way. Luckily where I live and where Bri is living, the storm went east of us, sparing us the strong winds and flooding conditions.
****************************
I am going to concentrate this post on Asheville because that is the town where we spent our time in back in 2017.
Here are all my blog posts regarding the trip...
**************************
We stayed at the Grand Bohemian Asheville - right in the heart of Biltmore Village.
The hotel was just beautiful (my pics)...
A full picture of the hotel that I swiped from the internet...
And this is what the hotel looked like during the flooding...
**************************
Here are some pics I took inside the hotel in 2017...
I have no idea what the inside of the hotel looks like now after the flood.
*************************
We also visited the cute shops and restaurants in historic Biltmore Village.
My pictures...
***************************
In 2017, we visited Chimney Rock, Hickory Nut Falls and Chimney Rock Village.
This was us up at Chimney Rock...
After visiting Chimney Rock and hiking to Hickory Nut Falls, we went to Chimney Rock Village to get something to eat...
This is/was Chimney Rock Village (before and after - it is just gone)...
We did visit Biltmore Estate during that trip (which was breathtaking) and I do believe it was spared - I haven't heard otherwise. I pray it is ok.
Just like Lahaina, it will take Asheville years to rebuild/recover from what happened to them. It is just devastating.
I am going to look into where I can donate to help flood victims.
I hope I don't have to write another one of these types of posts again for a very long time. But in this world of severe climate change (which is very, very real), I am worried this is going to happen more frequently and more devastatingly. It is just so sad.



















0 Kind Words:
Post a Comment