January 2, 2021

A Look Back At 2020

 2020 was a very tough year. Most definitely. But, there were parts of 2020 that were happy and enjoyable for our family. I think Doug, Bri and I adjusted to our "new normal" quite well overall.

We did have normalcy for the first two months of 2020. We visited the Chinese Lantern Festival, saw "Cats" in Chattanooga, enjoyed a school musical, ate out at restaurants and visited with friends...

Those first two months were a bit tough for me because I was battling some tonsil and mouth issues, but I managed to figure out how to deal with all of those issues during this pandemic. No need for tonsil surgery now.

The biggest change we encountered in 2020 was how Briana attended school. 8th grade ended virtually - no school dance, no school graduation, no yearbook signing. It was very sad. We made the tough decision for her to go through her freshman year of high school virtually as well...

Briana took on that challenge and has done amazingly well. She got all A's her 8th grade year and has also made straight A's her first semester in high school. Yes, she misses going to school normally and seeing her friends, but we've embraced the benefits of learning at home and are making the most of it.

Once March hit, we learned how to go about our lives "physically distancing"...

 It's difficult not to be able to get too close or give hugs, but it is what we have to do right now.
 
We did create a very small "social bubble" where we can see a few people (more normally) who are distancing the way we are, so that has helped a lot too.

Our family embraced wearing masks in 2020 to help ourselves and others not get this virus. It's not always comfortable, but we've learned to do it. And it isn't that bad once you get used to it...

And because of all the physical distancing and mask use, Doug, Bri nor I got a cold or flu in 2020. So crazy. It proves how easily germs spread around.
 
In 2020, our family spent more time together than we ever had before. And honestly, it was really nice. Doug hasn't travelled for work at all since the pandemic started. Bri has been at home learning. Mei is super happy having us home all the time. And surprisingly, we still like each other - LOL! It's a family bonding experience that we wouldn't have had if it weren't for this pandemic. So, that is a bright spot that came out of the crazy year of 2020...
 
 We didn't let 2020 steal away holidays or special moments...

We still happily celebrated birthdays, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Autumn Moon Festival, Gotcha Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. And we continued our apple picking tradition.

 We also ended up getting an amazing finished basement in 2020. Since Doug was able to be home, he was able to focus on having the basement exactly the way he had always envisioned it. It is really amazing and we are really enjoying it...
 
2020 was the year that Mei got "cat-napped" by our former vet practice. They took her off property without my permission to another location for care. I ended up reporting them to the licensing board. And that was tough. I was trying to help Mei with her over-licking issues and ended up making things worse for her (not intentionally obviously). But, she seems over it now with lots and lots of love and attention. We love her even though a lot of her is hairless...
 
I cooked more than I ever had in my entire life during 2020. It wasn't super fancy food, but it was good food and that's all that matters. Doug perfected the art of air frying wings. I made apple pies, soups, pork, chicken and beef dishes and lots of breakfasts...
 
We also ordered lobster rolls, matzah ball soup and cheesesteaks for special occasions. All of it delicious.

Here are some of my favorite memes from the year...

Everything from the getting vaccinated to voting to politics to mental health to all things coronavirus.

The one thing I did find in 2020 was a voice. I've lived in the state of Georgia for almost 35 years now (mostly in conservative areas). I have kept my mouth closed for so many years while the majority of those around me have openly vocalized their (mainly) conservative beliefs. Their beliefs on how they think others should pray. Whether or not I should get myself or my kid vaccinated. Under the current adm!nistration, a lot of those vocalizations got even louder. 

I couldn't do it anymore. I finally had to speak out. I realize now that I am a moderate who leans left. I believe in science, mask use, physical distancing and vaccinations. I won't preach to anyone about religious beliefs - it's a personal matter. I don't fall for conspiracy theories. I am 100% anti-bullying and anti-lying and know that our (now lame duck) pres!dent is the biggest bully and liar of them all. I couldn't sit there and just not say anything anymore. I guess I exploded a bit. I know I have probably lost followers on this blog (and maybe even friends in real life) and it's unfortunate, but it's ok. I needed to finally have a voice too.

I'm pretty sure I will continue to voice my opinion a bit on this blog until this whole pandemic is over. Lives are at stake. But, I think I will be able to tone it down a bit now.

Here is a tally of what happened in 2020...

It's not the flu. It never has been the flu. And even if you recover, there could be lingering effects.

So that is my 2020 wrap up. It was a hard, scary, different, weird year, but we survived it. My deepest condolences go out to those who lost loved ones in 2020 - whether it was due to coronavirus or something else. 

I know for us right now, 2021 is just a continuation of 2020 because our family is going to continue to be super careful. But, we are looking forward to eventually getting our vaccinations in 2021 and hope to resume a normal life sooner than later...

Thank you to those who continue to read my blog. Hoping for a brighter, safer, happier and healthier year for everyone.

1 Kind Words:

ourdarlinggal said...

A great round up of your 2020. You sound much stronger Lisa, that is fab.xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails