Girlfriend is officially a junior now! She has survived two years of college and now she is home for the summer. Before I blog about our May, I just wanted to close out Briana's sophomore year in a post.
Before she came home for the summer, she had two more events to attend (and of course finals to complete).
First, she attended Momocon with her school friends and had a blast...
Briana went as Vanellope Von Schweets (recycled costume from years ago) and she ran into another Vanellope at the convention!
Then, I mentioned in my last post about Bri that she submitted several pieces of her foundations artwork to an art competition at SCAD called "Beyond The Dot" and that her Hobbit book was accepted.
After fighting a lot of horrible Atlanta traffic to get to SCAD to attend the ceremony...
Our girl and her piece displayed...
I'll get right to it - she didn't win anything.
This is what I said on FB...
"Doug and I attended the award ceremony yesterday for the art competition (3D category) that Briana was accepted into. Unfortunately, she didn't win anything. Usually, I wouldn't be bummed about that. But when I arrived and saw all the buzz that Bri was getting around her piece, I started thinking she had a good chance of placing (kind of seemed like more than other 3D pieces). Her professor told her afterward she was super close to getting third place (a panel of professors were the judges). Thanks - I guess? It's hard because art is so subjective. I am thinking maybe her piece wasn't as technical as ones that placed. Not sure. Bri was very gracious about it and seemed totally fine. I think I am feeling the sting over it all. I guess it's a mom thing."
I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I saw a lot of spectacular work displayed in lots of different categories. But, I didn't think the pieces that placed ahead of Briana in her specific category were as impressive. And yes, I am totally biased because it is my kid. But truly, I didn't think they were. Again - art is so subjective.
Here are some pictures of the event...
After the event, Doug, Bri and I went out to dinner at Nan to celebrate her being in the competition. Delicious...
We said our goodbyes knowing we would be back at SCAD in a week to grab most of Briana's things for move out.
Briana had a class on Thursday evening, not allowing her to leave like last year before everyone else checked out on Friday. So, Doug and I went on Thursday morning to grab almost all of her things and take them home, so she could just wake up in the morning, strip her bed, grab the rest of her things, check out and drive home Friday morning.
Thursday morning...
And then Friday came. Briana was SO ready to come home. I asked her to take last day of school selfies since I wasn't going to be there...
She checked out and was home by 11:30am. We were so glad we did what we did with getting her stuff a day early because I heard that move out day was a complete chaotic nightmare.
I mentioned in my last post that Briana's living situation for next year kind of imploded. The roommate/friend Bri shared a bedroom with this school year has decided not to return to SCAD in the fall. And unfortunately, the other two dorm mates ended up being very less than ideal people to live with (you just don't really know until you live with someone). They don't want to live with B next school year and the feeling is VERY much mutual for B.
So, Doug and I have made the decision to allow Briana to move into her own apartment close to campus in September. She still plans to move in with her good friend senior year, but for now, she will live on her own. I just cannot watch her try to coexist anymore with people who just don't understand how to be clean, semi-quiet and respectful in a very small, shared space. And I don't want random people selected for her dorm again (all of her closest friends at school already have their living situations set for the fall).
Briana has done remarkably well dealing in less than ideal living situations for two years now (she made straight A's this quarter) - but no more. She has paid her dues. She deserves peace, quiet, cleanliness and personal space - and if Doug and I can try to do it for her, we will. I am definitely nervous about it, but she is thrilled.
She is home and she is happy...
We are going on vacation very soon and Bri will be starting a new job. We all need a few months to decompress - and find Bri a place.
So that is the B update. We plan to really enjoy this summer break. It is much needed!
















0 Kind Words:
Post a Comment