November 10, 2014

Briana's 1st 5K

Saturday morning was Briana's very 1st 5K race!

She was excited and nervous all at the same time. We were up at 5:50AM to get her to the park by 7:15. It was early. And cold ~ very cold. In the 30's.

It's how cold outside?

What the heck have I gotten myself into????

I tried to bundle Bri enough so that she would be warm in the cold temps but not over bundle her so she would get hot during the run. I was totally winging it.

Hats and gloves were definitely needed...

We met up with Bri's coach...

And the running club team...

The kids did some warm up...





It was then time for everyone to line up...

Off they go...

Bri kept up a nice pace...







Of course, the mom in me was a little worried about her. I couldn't see her as she followed some of the path in the park. I prayed she wasn't getting too tired. I was so happy so see her finally come around the corner toward the finish...





37 minutes, 42 seconds...

One of her schoolmates (a boy) was struggling a little bit during the run (I think he might have started off too fast) and he was trying to catch up with one of his friends (but he never did). Briana said she slowed a little to talk to him and give him some encouragement. She ended up crossing the finish line a few seconds before he did. She's just awesome.

She got a medal and a water bottle...

Bri and her friend Allix...

Allix and her mom (who also ran the race)... 

Go team!!!!

Getting a little love from daddy...

The race was just a small part of the Extreme Family Field Day that our county was hosting to raise money for our public schools. There were lots of other things to do (jumpies, food, obstacle course, etc). Even after running for almost 40 minutes, Bri wanted to climb the rock wall...


And jump on the bungee trampoline...

The last thing she did was this inflatable...

I want to be the next "Kacy Catanzaro"!!!! (Female American Ninja Warrior finalist)...


Hmmm, got some work to do on that. And I better not try it after a 5K. ;-)

We were all pretty tired from getting up so early, so we headed home.

When we got home, we added Bri's new medal to all the other medals she has received over the years. Her medal holder is all filled up. We need to double up now!!

I can't begin to explain how proud I am of Briana. She had a bit of a rocky start to running club due to some hot weather issues, but in the end, it has been a wonderful club for her. She's built up her endurance and she was so proud of herself for finishing the race so strong.

That's my baby! :)

1 Kind Words:

RamblingMother said...

Looks like a fun cold run

Related Posts with Thumbnails