September 7, 2024

I'm Missing Her

She's only been gone since Tuesday and I already miss her. 
 
Even though Doug and I ran down to the school to bring her a few more things she needed yesterday, I am missing her. I am grateful we are not all that far from campus. I know she was very happy to see us. Doug and I need to drive her car to her tomorrow (she couldn't park in the parking garage attached to her building yet due to all the move-ins this week), but I am still missing her. Even though a lot of the time she was closed up in her bedroom and ignoring us, I still knew she was in the house. This feels weird and strange. It is quiet. I don't have another kid in the house to distract me (except Doug - heh).

I think Bri is doing amazingly well under the circumstances of starting this very new, different life. We did have a significant missing home moment after a couple of days - which I talked her through. I knew that it could happen eventually. 
 
Briana made the choice to have the school select her roommate since it worked so great for her camps. Doug and I told her that could be a mistake and we desperately tried to talk her out of it to no avail. Her roommate showed up on Thursday after not contacting Bri at all this summer (even though they had names and email addresses). She is 20 and definitely more mature (a sophomore from Queens, NY) and not super compatible with Bri. I think they will be able to make things work (I pray), but this girl seems to have no interest in bonding with Bri up to this point. They cordially chat on and off, but that is about it. She seems to go off and do her own thing. I am very grateful that the other 18 year old freshman in Bri's suite (in the other bedroom) is filling that space because they are getting along wonderfully and spending lots of time together. Briana is already branching out - meeting and hanging out with new people. Her people. Her artsy people.

The diversity at this school is wonderful. So many races and cultures represented. It is how I grew up in Miami, and I am happy she will get to experience being with so many different kinds of people. SCAD is a dry campus, no Greek life (just clubs) and has rules about noise levels at certain hours and overnight guests, etc. I really like that.

She hasn't even started her classes yet, which will start on Monday. She has done some pre-course assignments, so luckily she has stayed on top of that. Because there are no classes this week and everyone is moving in and excited and nervous and all over the place and there are all sort of welcome activities - things can be a little chaotic. I am looking forward for everyone to get into their routines at school and then we will see how college life really is. It is hard to get a true read this first week.

And even though Bri is doing quite well, that doesn't keep me from worrying about her. As a mom, I hope she is eating ok and sleeping ok and feeling ok. And you can't do much to help at this point but try to listen. She's a college kid now and has to figure this stuff out on her own. She already went off campus last night with a few people for a Target run and to eat at a cookie place (both guys and girls). These are kids that she is just getting to know. My introverted Bri. I really am very proud of her.

So that is my update. I will worry about her whether she is doing great or struggling. I am a first-class worrier if you haven't figured that out. That's what anxiety does to you. I just want B to find a comfort level that will get her through the whole school year.

And I have a week and a half until my surgery. I am dreading that. I feel like I am drowning in life a little bit right now, but I'll survive.   

Just keep us all in your thoughts and prayers.

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails