Last week, I volunteered to help out in Bri's classroom on Thursday and on Friday.
Thursday, I helped with reading groups in the morning and then stayed a bit longer to sit at lunch with Briana and her classmates. I was there a total of two hours and by the time I left - I was exhausted. Boy, 5 year olds sure have a lot of energy! I think I was more exhausted from spending time in the lunchroom than from helping with the reading groups. I was asked questions and told stories left and right from the 8 or 9 kids sitting at our table. It was like sitting on front of a verbal firing squad. And they all needed help opening things - I had crackers, juice pouches and cookies all shoved at me throughout the lunch period. Even though it was tiring, it was a lot of fun. I got to know a lot of Bri classmates, and I can say that they are definitely a cute bunch of kids. Here is a pic I snapped of them from behind...
And Friday was Apple Day at school. The two room moms organized the apple-filled afternoon and had a number of "stations" set up. I was in charge of one of the apple projects. I painted the kids palms red and had them stick their hands on a paper tree hanging on the wall to make it look like an apple tree...
The kids also got to paint ceramic apples...
There were also two other (unfortunately messy) paint projects as well as caramel apples being made. I personally think there were a few too many painting opportunities offered to twenty-one 5 year olds in one afternoon. A few of the kids went home definitely needing their clothes washed. Whoops. Luckily, my kid is a bit OCD and went home pretty much unscathed. :D
I really enjoyed volunteering last week and I am scheduled to help with reading groups several times throughout the school year. I will get to be a "mystery reader" soon as well.
And today is my very first student/teacher conference (it is conference week). I will be heading over to talk to Bri's teacher in a couple of hours. I am excited and a bit nervous to hear what Bri's teacher has to say. I'll keep ya posted!





4 Kind Words:
I miss those days with Sam...in Kindergarten I volunteered 3 days a week and LOVED every minute of it.
Volunteer days are so wonderful! I too am worn out and wonder how in the world I did that everyday for 18 years!!! WOW~ Love being home!!! LOL XO
PLEASE DO!
Glad you had fun. Now add lesson plans, correcting papers, dealing with parents, who are not always very nice, meetings, and a full day into all that and you get an idea of my life! This is why I'm tired all the time! LOL!
Volunteers make my life a little easier, and I'm always grateful for that.
Post a Comment