It's been quite a week for me. It hasn't been all bad ~ I met my friend Kathy for coffee on Wednesday morning which was really nice, Bri had the day off from school on Tuesday which was also nice (voting day - I voted early) and tonight I have a girls' night out planned.
But dang this week has been filled with hiccups.
We "fell back" on Sunday ~ which made Sunday seem longer. I don't really mind the longer day, but shifting that hour really doesn't help anyone's body clock...
And everyone keeps calling it "daylight savings time" when it is really "daylight saving time." Savings go in a bank. We are supposed to be "saving" time. And I actually had a friend point out that we aren't actually "saving" anything ~ which is totally true. There are still exactly 24 hours in a day...
Doug and I put all the Halloween decorations away on Sunday (and we have A LOT) which took a bunch of time. But all my fall decor is now out...
You would have thought Miss B would have been in a great mood Monday morning since she had that "extra" hour of sleep. She was at first, but then she got rapidly grumpy because she remembered that she didn't turn in an assignment for Venture that had been due on Friday. Which of course she never mentioned all weekend. Her tone seemed to be like she was blaming me for the oversight.
Grumpy Briana...
She and I had words that morning because I told her that it wasn't my responsibility to make sure she did all her homework. I do help her with homework, but ultimately it is her responsibility. She has a sheet that comes home each week from Venture, but there is rarely Venture homework listed on it. And if there is homework, there are usually just worksheets in the pocket of her folder to be completed. This was an actual writing assignment. The assignment was given at the height of my sickness, so I did miss seeing the assignment. But still, not my fault in the end.
We were angry with one another, and Doug offered to take Bri to school. The whole week before, Bri was so excited because the class had earned a "bring a device to school" day on Monday. Between Halloween, soccer tournaments, preparing for soccer dinners, time changes and arguing, we both forgot about it. (Kind of ironic with the fact our conversation had just been about responsibility.)
Bri got to school and was devastated.
When I picked her up from running club, she looked weird when she got into the car. Then she burst into tears and told me what happened. And then she said "I left you a message." I was so confused - and then it hit me.
This was my FB status from that day...
"Massive mama guilt - I rarely forget anything when it comes to Briana. Her class had earned a "bring your device day" today and I totally forgot about it this morning. She tried to call me this morning from her teacher's cell phone asking me to bring her ipad in, but I didn't recognize the number and her message was so garbled and far away (she said she was crying) that I actually thought it was toddler making a mistake call. She got in my car this afternoon sobbing and told me what happened. She and I had some words this morning before school and she thought I was still mad at her. I hate that she thought I ignored her all day - it's heartbreaking. I think her standard of me is so high now, when I do make a mistake, things seem much more earth shattering.
—
feeling heartbroken."
—
I started to cry because my kid tried to reach me and I didn't know. I didn't understand the message. I felt horrible.
We cleared it all up after we talked and she ended up getting "Minecraft" in her iPad - which every kid on this planet seems to have now. I just feel badly that she thought I was super mad at her all day...
We had our soccer dinner that evening and it ended up being really nice despite the hiccups of the day.
Doug had to leave to head to the airport directly from the dinner because he had an all day demo to do in Miami the next day.
The next day was voting day and Bri's day off from school. We invited Taylor over for a few hours...
After Taylor left, I took Bri to get her glasses adjusted because they kept falling off of her nose. She is good to go now...
Tuesday night, I unfortunately had to get on Bri once again about her attitude. She has 14 pounds of Halloween candy (which I need to chunk a bunch and/or donate)...
I let her have a piece after dinner and I took a small piece for myself. She seemed a bit irked that I took some of her candy. So we had another LONG talk about sharing and all the stuff I did to help her get all that candy (such as costuming and walking her in the cold temps and rain), so I earned at least a couple of pieces. I told her she needed an attitude adjustment.
So Wednesday I had a nice coffee day with Kathy (which I needed)...
Doug had come home from his trip on Tuesday night, but late Wednesday afternoon, he had a meeting in Atlanta, so he had to work late - again.
He got home around 7ish. I had washed the dinner dishes and loaded them in the dishwasher. I usually set it for a two hour delay, but I decided to just go ahead and run it for some reason. Thank goodness I did because water started gushing out the bottom. The pump broke I believe...
Dishwasher repair guy is coming out today.
After dealing with that, Bri had the nerve to get huffy - AGAIN. What the h---????
I walked into the bathroom after she had taken a shower, and she left her towel and robe on the floor. She knows better than that. I made her stop what she was doing and pick them up. She got huffy with me about it. Seriously???
I calmly yet firmly said "Go get your iPad now." She handed it to me and I told her I didn't know when she would get it back. After a few minutes, I told that she lost it the entire next day and if she huffed me even a little bit again, it would be gone a whole lot longer (next time it will be gone a week or maybe two). Then I sent her to bed.
Taking her iPad is hitting her where it hurts (and me too)...
I calmly yet firmly said "Go get your iPad now." She handed it to me and I told her I didn't know when she would get it back. After a few minutes, I told that she lost it the entire next day and if she huffed me even a little bit again, it would be gone a whole lot longer (next time it will be gone a week or maybe two). Then I sent her to bed.
Taking her iPad is hitting her where it hurts (and me too)...
Let's just say she was a lot sweeter and nicer this morning. I am not sure if it is that she is feeling a bit guilty (she always seems remorseful when we talk) or if she just wants her iPad back. Probably a bit of both.
And also this morning, I totally forgot to pack her snacks for the day. Today is her long day at school because of running club. I feel like I am in a fog this week - I don't usually forget stuff. I ran to the grocery store which is next door to her school, grabbed a couple of things and ran them back to the school. Managed to get that done before the school day actually started.
Dang.
Let's just say I'll be getting a margarita with my dinner tonight. A big one.
Believe me, I know my issues are extremely minor in comparison to so many bigger problems in the world (first world problems ya know). But, it's been kind of a crazy week. I'm just ready to get my happy Briana back (not sure what is up with her this week) and get my head screwed back on straight.
And also this morning, I totally forgot to pack her snacks for the day. Today is her long day at school because of running club. I feel like I am in a fog this week - I don't usually forget stuff. I ran to the grocery store which is next door to her school, grabbed a couple of things and ran them back to the school. Managed to get that done before the school day actually started.
Dang.
Let's just say I'll be getting a margarita with my dinner tonight. A big one.
Believe me, I know my issues are extremely minor in comparison to so many bigger problems in the world (first world problems ya know). But, it's been kind of a crazy week. I'm just ready to get my happy Briana back (not sure what is up with her this week) and get my head screwed back on straight.










3 Kind Words:
I feel ya' Wednesdays are our attitude angry conversations. Hope your weekend is good.
I totally understand. This is a HARD AGE where they vacillate between wanting more responsibility and not quite being able to handle more responsibility. When things are their fault, they get mad and blame us, etc. I know my kid is sweet just like Briana is, so those moments when they get huffy, etc. are tough to take.
Make it a "double" with your dinner....that will definetly help!!!
Post a Comment