August 22, 2023

Maui/Lahaina Wildfire

Before I start blogging about what we did the second half of our summer break, I want to stop first and mention the fire that burned down the entire town of Lahaina in Maui.

I feel like I don't really have a right to comment on this devastating situation because I don't have any family or friends who live in Maui. I don't have a deep connection to anyone who lost their life or home or everything they own in the fire (I do have a FB friend whose daughter sadly lost her home and livelihood in the fire - miraculously she wasn't in Maui when the fire swept through the town.) The loss there is so monumental that it is hard to wrap your head around.

My only connection to Maui is when Doug, Briana and I visited the island in 2019.

Doug, Bri and I did visit Lahaina. We stopped there a couple of times on that trip - and it was beautiful.

Doug, Briana and I had talked about visiting Hawaii for years before we finally did. When we felt Briana was old enough for a trip that big, we went for it and made a plan - and we decided to stay on the island of Maui.

I spent countless hours studying that map of Maui. Trying to figure out sites to see and which roads would take us to where we needed to go. I was completely planned out and ready when we finally got on that plane.

I was experiencing a crazy amount of anxiety at the time (I still have lots anxiety). Visiting Hawaii was a big obstacle for me because of all my nerves - and I wanted to tackle that obstacle. And I did - and I was so proud of myself for doing it. Hawaii/Maui was one of the most wonderful trips I have ever been on. The people were welcoming and friendly. The beauty of Maui was breathtaking. It is a place I will never forget. Because I put so much effort into and got so much joy out of that visit, it is a really special place to me.

So when I heard that the town of Lahaina burned to the ground, I was devastated. So many lives lost. So many families ripped apart. A community just - gone. It's hard to comprehend.

I've been thinking about all the people who live(d) there. And I've been also thinking about the tourists/visitors who may have been there that day, just like Doug, Bri and I were - either staying in Lahaina or spending time there. Not aware of what was coming.

We visited the "Cool Cat Cafe" on Front Street when we were there. You can read about it "here". We had a wonderful time eating burgers and enjoying the beautiful view...

I snagged this picture off the internet...

This is what is looks like now...

Where Cool Cat Cafe approximately was...

It's just gone.

I looked at Banyan Court Park as I ate my burger and it was just so pretty...

And it's all burned now.

We also visited the Lahaina Grill (located in the Hotel Lahaina/Lahaina Inn) for my birthday dinner. You can read about it "here"...

 

The staff could not have been more friendly and accommodating. It is one of the most delicious meals I have ever had. One I will always remember.

This is what it looks like then and now (pics taken from the internet)...

The message that now pops up on the hotel website...

 Heartbreaking.

From what I can gather reading information on these two restaurants, I do believe all the staff and employees survived - thank goodness. But many have lost their homes, possibly loved ones and obviously their jobs.

On the way out of Lahaina, I snapped a picture of a super fun surf/souvenir shop (that I wish I had gone into now). It was of Maui Mike's Beach House...

This is it now...

Devastating.

It will take years to rebuild this community. And even if it is rebuilt, it will never be exactly what it was. The task is daunting.

I donated to both Lahaina Grill's and Cool Cat Cafe's GoFundMe drives. If you can donate to help the people of Maui, that would be wonderful. And if you can't, that is totally ok, just keep the people of Maui in your thoughts and prayers.

3 Kind Words:

Jennifer Szeto said...

Good post, Lisa! Do you know/did you hear that Beanie Babies created a bear named Aloha? 100% of the proceeds of the sales will be donated to multiple relief partners. (I am quoting from an ad.) You can preorder a bear from Royal Emporium through https://royal-emporium.com

Jennifer Szeto said...

Great post, Lisa! Have you heard that Beanie Babies created Aloha, a bear from Maui? Royal Emporium is taking preorders. A bear costs $7.99 Website: https://royal-emporium.com

Jennifer Szeto said...

Great post. Lisa! Did you know that you can also support Maui through purchasing Aloha, a Beanie Baby bear from Hawaii? You can preorder through Royal Emporium. The website is https://royal-emporium.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails