September 18, 2011

My Health

I really haven't mentioned anything on my blog about how I have been feeling lately, but I have been pretty miserable for the past six weeks or so. I keep plugging along and I have been trying to keep a smile on my face for Briana's sake, but I've definitely been under the weather.

As you all know, Briana started kindergarten on August 3 and for some reason, it threw me into a frenzy. I internalized a lot of my feelings about her starting school and unfortunately, my body revolted. I have battled acid reflux disease since I was a teen and whenever I get overwhelmed about things in my life, I start to feel sick. And I have been battling this round of reflux for about 6 weeks now. I thought I could get a hold of it on my own by taking over the counter drugs and watching my diet. That didn't work so well. Reflux is a nasty thing to have. I've been just miserable. Not excruciating pain miserable - just chronic, "I feel like crap" miserable. I would eat two bites of food and I could feel my stomach knotting up and my esophagus starting to close. I even had to cancel several plans with friends over Labor Day weekend because I was feeling so yucky.

At the very beginning of August, I scheduled a physical for Sept 14. I didn't schedule it because of the reflux - I really wanted to get a checkup. And I had hoped to do it sooner when I called, but I found out that my doctor was heading out of the country on vacation and I couldn't get in for a physical any sooner. I love my doctor and I wanted to talk to him specifically about my overall health. Over the weeks of waiting for my physical, I kept feeling miserable. I had "bad" days and "just ok" days, but I can't say I had any really "good" days. Yes, I was being stubborn. I should have probably just seen someone else for my specific problem, but I didn't. I wanted my doctor. I did finally see my doctor on Wednesday and got my physical and he gave me some strong medicine for my reflux. I have to say, it has worked wonders since I started taking it. I can eat again without feeling sick. The only down side is that it makes me feel a bit groggy, but I'll definitely take groggy over how I have been feeling lately.

I was looking back at my blog and I realized the last time I experienced a reflux attack was when I was a month away from getting my referral for Briana. I can definitely see a pattern of triggers here!

So hopefully, I am on the mend. Finally. I am so ready to get back to normal again. This upcoming week is fall break and I need to be on my toes for all the things I have planned for Briana. I hate being sick. I want to enjoy everything I do with Briana and not just "get through it" - which is what I felt I have kind of been doing the last several weeks.

Wish me luck in showing my gal a fun time this week!

6 Kind Words:

Ani said...

Glad to hear you are doing better!!! Enjoy the week with your gal!

Polar Bear said...

I'm so glad you're better. Reflux is NOT fun.
I've been on medication for it for about a year and a half, so I KNOW how you feel. Right before our referral I ended up in the hospital after weeks of pain ~ which I thought was my heart. We were so close to a referral, I was afraid to see a doctor. I didn't want to hear that I had a heart condition and couldn't go to China. Isn't it sad how our minds play such games.

I'm so glad you are feeling better. Have a great fall break!! :o)

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Mike not long found out he had that... so he cut out ALL acid foods, soda and has been great ever since... he is trying to avoid the medication... I see he hasn't had it as long as you... take care...

Lisa~~ said...

Good to hear that the meds are working and that you're feeling better. Looking forward to seeing you this week.

Catherine said...

Sorry to hear you've been feeling so awful! Reflux problems are not fun at all. HOpe you're on the mend and have a great week with Briana! Looking forward to hearing about all your adventures together!

Madison's Dad said...

Hope you feel well soon. I had the same condition and had a simple surgery to correct it. You can read my story here if you are interested: http://www.heartburn-help.com/jerry.htm

Related Posts with Thumbnails