November 7, 2013

Final Private Speech Therapy Session




On Tuesday, Briana had her very last private speech therapy session.

If you have been a long time follower of my blog, you might remember that I have always had issues with Briana when it came to speech. She was a late talker. I went to "Babies Can't Wait" when Bri was almost three and was shooed away by them because she wasn't "deficient enough" according to their standards to receive any help. It was a total joke in my opinion. There was no doubt that B really did need some help. She could not say full sentences until was over three years old. And when she did finally start talking in full sentences, she had a lot of trouble saying certain letters. She had a really big issue with her "l" sound in kindergarten. She was assessed by the school at that time and once again, Bri was not "bad enough" to get help. So many people around me kept saying she would "grow out of it" or "it would come in time." But deep down, I knew she needed that extra help.

Briana did get the "l" sound on her own, but she still had a few issues with "sh" and "th" sounds and major issues with her "r" sounds (the "r" sounded like a "w"). She was reassessed again by her school in 1st grade and finally got into speech therapy toward the end of the school year. Summer came around quickly though, and I didn't want months going by again without help for her. I got a referral from a friend of mine in the China adoption community for a private therapist - and that is how we met Sarah. Sarah listened to Bri one time and agreed that Bri definitely did need extra help. Bri literally could not form her tongue in the correct way to say the "r" sound. No matter how hard she tried. Within several months, Sarah had her saying all of the sounds she had trouble with like she had never had any issues at all. It took several weeks for it to click with Bri (I was worried she might never get it!), but when she finally did, she ran with it and never looked back.

Bri will continue with speech in school for the time being, but Briana's private therapy is over. I can't believe how far she came in such a short time. I know all this will help her so much when it comes to spelling words (she can hear the sounds correctly now). It will also keep her from getting teased by other children (luckily that didn't happen to her - at least that I know of).

I'm so proud of Briana. And I am so thankful to Sarah - who was so awesome. I love to hear all these amazing sounds coming from Briana's mouth. You will see in the videos above.

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails