Well, Briana finally went back to school today. But just for one day. Next week is Thanksgiving break. I wonder how much school work she has missed this week. Ugh, I feel a little nauseous thinking about it. Maybe it is a good thing that this week is the week before Thanksgiving. Maybe things wound down at school a bit before the holiday. I guess we will see.
On Monday, Briana scared me a bit when I was trying to wake her up for school. She felt so hot to the touch. I kept asking her if she was ok and she just kept saying "I want Pink Baby." And I tried to hand her doll to her but she just kept hanging on to her panda bear and shaking her head yes. It was like she was out of it and didn't know what was going on around her. When she finally came around after a minute or two, she got tears in her eyes because she felt so badly. I grabbed the thermometer - 102.6. Not good.
I put her in my bed and gave her a fever reducer. I did that a couple of times that day and it seemed to help her. She felt good enough in the evening - we even did this mosaic together...
I thought it was just a 24 hour thing.
Nope - she woke up the next morning with a 103 temp and a cough. Briana had her 2nd grade field trip that day and I was supposed to chaperone. We both missed it. :(
That day she and I watched two Harry Potter movies and all she wanted to do was lay around in bed.
This was her on Tuesday night - she was feeling rough...
The next morning - 102 again.
Everything I read said wait three days to see the doctor for a fever, and Wednesday was the beginning of Day 3. And she was developing a nasty cough. I needed to make sure she didn't have pneumonia - so off to the doctor we went...
The doctor listened to her chest and said it sounded great - totally clear. He said she had an upper respiratory virus and it needed to run it course. He recommended Benadryl before bedtime and honey to sooth the cough.
Her cough was pretty nasty on Wednesday. Honey and cough drops weren't cutting it. I couldn't listen to her suffer with that cough one more minute, so I gave her a little Benadryl around 4PM. It knocked her out for about an hour...
I gave her a bit more before bed on Wednesday. She slept all night, but she coughed in her sleep a lot. I kept her home on Thursday. Her fever was finally gone, but her cough was still bad.
She coughed and coughed and coughed on Thursday. I tried everything to try to help her. It was exhausting - for her and me. I can tell it is all up high in her throat - like a tickle. So annoying. Despite that, she was feeling better. We even played a few board games together.
I listened to her cough on Thursday night, and I couldn't sleep trying to figure out what I should do regarding school. She woke up coughing but had a smile. I made the decision to send her to school today - but I told her if she didn't feel well, she could call me to pick her up.
She looks much better, doesn't she?
I haven't heard from the school yet and the day is half over. I hope she makes it to 2:30 (I think she will). And now we will have the entire Thanksgiving break to recover.
It has been a LONG week. I'm am spoiled. I admit it. I'm used to having a kid that rarely gets sick and when she does, it is usually sniffles and it lasts like two days. This was kind of a new thing for me. We survived it together. I sure hope she doesn't get hit with anything like this again for a long time.



3 Kind Words:
So glad she is better! Enjoy your Thanksgiving and Happy Hanukah as they converge this year.
:( Off little baby :(
Glad she is better; sounds like the same thing that ran through our household (AA and Daddy had it). The cough seems to linger. Love Harry Potter movies; AA finds comfort watching them too. Hope you are all healthy for the coming month of holidays.
Alyzabeth's Mommy
Post a Comment