My sweet Mei Mei.
My sweet chunky monkey Mei Mei...
My sweet Mei Mei that has refused to allow the hair to grow back on her belly since her surgery (you can see one of her surgery scars in this pic)...
Yes, I have yet another cat that is licking her belly bare. Freaking why? How in the world is this happening again? Asia licked her belly hairless for years as well. I feel like the worst mom ever.
I am so frustrated!
Asia's over-licking started with a small hot spot, and with the newness and stress of Briana coming home, it was the perfect storm of continuous belly licking. We even tried "kitty prozac" with Asia and nothing worked. She was hairless on her belly until the end.
Mei started over-licking her lady parts toward the end of last year. We couldn't figure out why. Then we discovered the hernia. Ah-ha! Made sense! She was probably uncomfortable and started licking that area to soothe herself.
When Mei came home with a buzzed belly after surgery in January, we hoped that with the corrected hernia she would eventually let the fur grow back. But with two stomach scars/scabs, she kept on with the licking. I've coned her several times on and off over the last several months (I decided to give it yet another try). I have tried washing her kitty blankets, vacuuming her perches, using unscented cat litter, spraying bitter spray to deter her from licking the area (that actually made things worse). Now I am washing her belly with an all natural, anti-itch shampoo every few days in case itchiness is the issue. My next resort is to possibly get her a steroid shot.
I'm not sure if she is itchy or if she just likes her belly this way now. She may like it. I don't.
How could this happen AGAIN?!! Ack!!!!
Despite Mei's stubbornness to allow her belly fur to grow back, I am still crazy about her.
She is the most loving thing in the whole world...
I just wish she would let her fur grow back!!!!


0 Kind Words:
Post a Comment