It's finally September. And it's also Labor Day weekend.
We've been social distancing now since March. That's a long time. It's not easy some days - not gonna lie.
We are hanging in there as best we can.
This is the first time since Briana was 4 years old that we haven't attended the Pioneer Days Festival during Labor Day weekend. It was our fun "kickoff" to the end of summer and beginning of the fall season.
Considering we live in suburban Georgia, I honestly thought the festival might go on anyway. We wouldn't have gone this year, but I would have felt super sad about missing it. Surprisingly, the festival was indeed cancelled...
Now all I can do is look back on past years and feel nostalgic...
Hopefully next time this year, life will finally be back to normal (or close to it) and we can go once again.
Instead of going to the festival over Labor Day weekend, B's friend Meredith came over and hung out at our house Saturday afternoon...
On Sunday, Doug, Bri and I ate Varsity hot dogs and hamburgers (in Doug's Tesla while watching Netfilix - LOL!), and then we headed over to Spirit Halloween to browse around...We had a really fun time!!
And of course as soon as it was released, we watched "Mulan" Friday evening...
From watching the cartoon version of Mulan countless times to seeing Mulan in Disney On Ice to visiting her at Disney World (twice) to wearing her clothes to hugging and playing with her dolls, it was a must to view the new action movie on the first night!
Bri's friend Meredith got a "light up box" for B for her birthday. We thought this would be a good message to display on it...
We've actually had a really nice Labor Day weekend despite it being a bit different this year. We always figure something out!
Progress is definitely being made in the basement. The insulation guys were here last week...
Sadly, we learned the world lost "Black Panther"/Chadwick Boseman last week. What a devastating loss. He can never be replaced...
Virus numbers in my neck of the woods are still quite high, but they are down now between the 1500 to 3000 new cases a day range (I guess you could say it is sort of a "bright side" that we aren't in the 3000 to 5000 range a day anymore?)...
I've seen some parents in B's school district complaining online about the new hybrid system and the kids having to work online from home and how inconvenient everything is (a few of the high schools and one middle school had to go hybrid). Well who is to blame for all of this mess? From the lack of mask use pretty much everywhere in my neck of the woods to people still hosting and/or going to social gatherings in groups during a pandemic (without masks) to the starting up of school "normally" during a covid spike to the attitude that this virus "isn't a big deal" - this is why things are hybrid now. This is why Doug and I felt forced to choose virtual learning for Bri back in July.
Complain all day long, but at least own the reason this has happened. When the number of covid cases in a school get too high due to the lack of social distancing/no mask thing, schools have to make changes for safety. Large numbers of students were being exposed to covid positive students and being asked to quarantine as well as the sick kids. Actions have consequences. Wear a mask = go to school. It's not that complicated.
I'm not saying my family and I have zero risk of getting this virus. I know that is not realistic. But, we'll know we did everything in our power to try not to get it as well as not to spread it to others.
*Rant over*
Like my new shirt? It's now my favorite...
And now, a little politics talk (you know the drill)...
I should mention quickly that "our household" received an absentee/mail-in ballot application in the mail the other day. There were pictures of Tr@mp plastered all over it (I feel that this is blatant election interference but maybe that's just me).
Now let me get this straight. According to Tr@mp, mailing in (absentee) ballots from republican states/counties = good/count them. Mailing in (absentee) ballots from democratic states/counties = bad/fraud/throw them out. Good to know.
I've never been a big political-type person. Not that I never paid attention to it, but I never talked about it openly with friends or family. I never said anything really on my blog or social media about it. It never consumed my life. I knew because of where I lived, having any sort of moderate/liberal ideas were not going to be popular around here, so I just kept my mouth shut. But when my life became so negatively affected by the decision making and lack of leadership by this administration and by my local community leaders, I couldn't help getting more vocal. I am still not totally comfortable voicing my opinion like this, and I often worry about the toll on certain relationships due to my openness.
But, I did get some validation last week.
Comedian Jim Gaffigan broke. He watched that last vitriolic, venomous night of the RNC and completely cracked. A nice, religious, funny, all-around good man and person just snapped. I feel horrible that he had a public meltdown, but he ended up saying a lot of things that a lot of people have been thinking and feeling these last 4 years. He made me feel not crazy for how I've been feeling lately and it helped me remember that good people do go off the deep end sometimes. People can only be pushed so far. If these things are being said by someone like him, it definitely gives me some confirmation and comfort that I'm not totally mad.
Someone tweeted this that night...
It was 100 percent true. And it wasn't pretty.
So last week, Gaffigan wrote this post on FB (I encourage you to read it)...
What I’ve Learned Since I Lost My Mind...
Posted by Jim Gaffigan on Sunday, August 30, 2020
It's a great explanation about what happened. It may have lost him some fans. It may have hurt his career a bit. I don't think he really cares though. It was more important for him to finally say something he feels is super urgent and I respect him for that...
Well, I think this might be a good note to end on. Hope you all had a good Labor Day weekend and hope you all have a good week. Peace out!


























0 Kind Words:
Post a Comment