May 26, 2014

Rest In Peace Bubbie

My grandmother (my father's mother) passed away on the evening on May 20th - she would have been 90 years old on May 22nd. Her health had been slowly declining over the past couple of years, but she got very sick at the beginning of this year and then got even sicker at the end of April.

In less than one year, I have now lost both of my grandmothers.

My grandmother's funeral was on Friday, and the rabbi who performed her funeral service said that someone passing on or very near the day of his/her birth is the mark of a sage. And it also marks a life that was well lived and is complete. My grandmother is definitely a true sage.

I lost my grandfather on June 3, 1990 - when he was 66 years old and I was 16 years old. He and my grandmother were apart for almost 24 years. She never found another love. Her heart was always with my grandfather...

They are finally together again.

My grandma Yetta was the mother of 4, grandmother of 9 and great grandmother of 12. She loved being a grandma, but she absolutely loved being "Bubbie" to her 12 great grandchildren.

My grandmother lived in Ft. Lauderdale, so it was a bit more difficult for me to see her than my other grandmother (who lived in GA). It had been several years since I had seen her in person, but we kept in close contact through cards, gifts, lots of pictures and a phone call here and there. My intention was to visit her this year - when Briana got out of school. Sadly, I did not make it in time. I am so very, very sad about that.

I wasn't about to miss her funeral, so I flew down to FL with my sister and my parents to say a final goodbye to her.

The 23rd Psalm was read at her funeral in Hebrew and in English...


I will truly miss her.

Rest In Peace Grandma.

(My grandma died during the last week of 2nd grade for Briana - I was able to attend a couple of her school functions but Doug filled in for me for the rest while I was out of town. I will blog about her last week of school soon.)

2 Kind Words:

Debbie said...

Thinking of you all, sounds like she was pretty amazing...

Ani said...

Hugs to you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails