My lovely girl went off to 3rd grade on Friday for the very last time. How is she a 4th grader now? How is it possible? All the years I waited for her to come into my life seemed to crawl by, but now, they seem to fly by in an instant.
Here is my baby on her first day of kindergarten...
Last day of kindergarten (she gained glasses and lost lots of teeth that year)...
1st day of 1st grade...
Last day of 1st grade...
1st day of 2nd grade...
Last day of 2nd grade...
First day of 3rd grade...
Last day of 3rd grade...
Bri has come such a long way since her first day of kindergarten. I still remember B's kindergarten teacher telling me how she was a bit scattered and distracted when she first started school. She was the baby of the class, so I hoped that time and experience would help her along. And boy it has.
Ok - a bit of mama bragging ahead. You may look away if you feel the need. :)
She has flourished each and every year. She is in the gifted program. She entered and graduated from school speech in just 2.5 years. She joined running club and has won the heart of her running coach. Her conduct is fantastic - never, ever gets into trouble. She seems to get along with and be well liked by the other kids in her grade. She has made a couple of tight school friendships (just a chosen few, but for some reason, I think she likes it that way). And she's not at all overwhelmed by being in a big school with lots of kids.
I think being the mom of an adopted Asian child made me more on edge when she entered school. Will she be accepted? Is there enough diversity? Will she flourish? Will she be confident? Am I doing the right things to help her?
The other day, Briana asked me if she had been the only Asian girl playing soccer in the NW Y U8 rec league (there is diversity in the league, but not necessarily Chinese/East Asian). I told her I wasn't sure, but that she was the only one I think I had seen. So I asked her how she felt about that. She said, "I feel unique and special." I cannot tell you how grateful I am she said that to me. I try to make her feel that way each and every day.
She's my only, so I soak in every moment I can because I don't get a second chance at any of this. She is truly my gift.
Ok - a bit of mama bragging ahead. You may look away if you feel the need. :)
She has flourished each and every year. She is in the gifted program. She entered and graduated from school speech in just 2.5 years. She joined running club and has won the heart of her running coach. Her conduct is fantastic - never, ever gets into trouble. She seems to get along with and be well liked by the other kids in her grade. She has made a couple of tight school friendships (just a chosen few, but for some reason, I think she likes it that way). And she's not at all overwhelmed by being in a big school with lots of kids.
I think being the mom of an adopted Asian child made me more on edge when she entered school. Will she be accepted? Is there enough diversity? Will she flourish? Will she be confident? Am I doing the right things to help her?
The other day, Briana asked me if she had been the only Asian girl playing soccer in the NW Y U8 rec league (there is diversity in the league, but not necessarily Chinese/East Asian). I told her I wasn't sure, but that she was the only one I think I had seen. So I asked her how she felt about that. She said, "I feel unique and special." I cannot tell you how grateful I am she said that to me. I try to make her feel that way each and every day.
She's my only, so I soak in every moment I can because I don't get a second chance at any of this. She is truly my gift.









2 Kind Words:
Yu are an amazing mum well frankly an amazing family. I can't belive how much she changed in a couple of school years.
I love her fashion sense...sad thing it didn't rub off on Ro, lol but then again. Lilys hasn't.
What a beautiful young lady!! Growing up so quickly and such a joy to all! Great job mommy!
Post a Comment