March 19, 2013

1st Grade Field Trip

On Thursday, Briana and all of the 1st grade went to a little theater in a nearby downtown area to see a performance on Harriet Tubman. (I snagged the above and below shots of the theater off the internet because I didn't get any really good ones). It was performed by the Bright Star Touring Theater...

There were only two performers - the actress portrayed Harriet Tubman and the actor portrayed all of the other characters (masters, government people, etc).

Parents were invited to attend, and Briana said she really wanted me there, so I went. I'm really glad I did, because I got to sit with her and her class during the performance.

At one point during the performance, Harriet Tubman started to walk up and down the aisles and asked for volunteers from the audience. You can see all the little hands go up...
And wouldn't you know it, Briana was one of the kids picked. She was pretty excited.

Harriet Tubman was explaining how it was to walk along the underground railroad. The kids were pretending to be runaway slaves. They were hiding throughout the theater from the man trying to catch them...



Here is a clip of Briana walking by me...



Here they are trying to "hide"...

Actors on stage (too bright to see really)...

Briana's class getting together to get a picture taken...

I thought it was a great performance and very informative (it was a bit slow at times for a few of the kids) but Briana watched intently the entire time. I think the biggest lesson the kids learned is that "Education Is Power."

I've joined in on Bri's preschool field trip, her kindergarten field trip and now her first grade one. I am very curious to see where Bri will end up next year!

0 Kind Words:

Related Posts with Thumbnails