I was sitting on Bri's bed with Briana last night. She and I were giggling about something, per usual. We kid each other, we laugh a lot and we snuggle and hug often. My thoughts drifted to how I wish sometimes that I could just freeze time and keep things exactly the way they are now. Bri is so young, so sweet, so innocent, so happy, so loving. I wish I could protect her from this entire world. I'd love for her to always want me to be around like this. She told me she wants me to tag along on her field trip next week just because she wants me there. But I know nothing lasts forever. I wanted my parents around all the time too when I was young. Then the teenage years hit, and I definitely wanted more independence.
I try to live in the moment with Briana as much as I can. I think I take so many pictures of her and journal every little thing she does because I know these moments in time are fleeting, and I want to remember it all. Maybe I hang on so tightly to these moments because I wasn't sure I would ever get to be a mom. I know how blessed I am every day that I am able to live my dream.
I felt the need to write this poem this morning. I don't know why. Sometimes I just get the urge to write.
"I Know One Day"
I know one day, my little girl will become more independent
I know one day, my girl will love me as much but won't need me as much
I know one day, she will become more aware of what kind of world we live in
I know one day, she won't want me to hold her hand
I know one day, she will start making memories that don't include me
I know one day, her thoughts will shift from rainbows and unicorns to who is dating whom
I know one day, the magic of Santa and the Easter Bunny will fade
I know one day, I will start to cramp her style
I know one day, her little kid problems will become big kid ones
I know one day, she will rather hang out with her friends than with me
I know one day, she will ask for a FB account and a cell phone
I know one day, I will tell her she is too young for those and needs to be older
I know one day, she will fall in love and probably get her heart broken
I know one day, I will be there to help her pick up the pieces if it does
I know one day, she will go out into the world on her own
I know one day, I am going to miss her terribly
I know one day, her dad will walk her down the aisle
I know one day, I will wipe away the tears when he does
I know one day, my daughter will be an amazing mother
I know one day, she is going to make a bigger imprint on this world than she already has
I just love the age of 6. I know I said I loved 4 and 5. But gosh I LOVE 6. Briana is this little person now with so many amazing thoughts and ideas. I often tell her to please stay little and not grow up. She says, "But Mom, I have too."
I know sweetie. I know.



5 Kind Words:
Okay, yeah - this made me tear up. I loved your poem, and I feel EXACTLY the same way - about all of it - about 6, about wanting to freeze time, about knowing they do and will and have to grow up and about not even knowing if I would ever become a Mom. You stated it all so well. Hugs to you, my friend!
Such a great post and lovely words!
What a wonderful post from a wonderful mother to her beautiful little girl.
Now, where are my tissues?
Honestly friend, once again it's like you and I live parallel lives just with kiddos 2 years apart in age and a few miles between us.
What a beautiful poem!
I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY YOU DO!! Earlier tonight I was holding Hannah as she's fallen asleep in my arms. I was smothering her with kisses and whispering my love into her sleepy ears. I love, love, love the age she is! I've teased that she was allowed to turn 4 but no more. Her response is that she'll be 5 next year and that I need to talk to God about it. Heh! Oh how I love her!!!
I can fully understand and appreciate your love for your precious Bri...and your appreciation for being a Mom.
Thank you for sharing friend!
LOVE this!!! I feel the same way... growing up too fast. XO
Post a Comment